Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We had a dog many years ago (not a beagle) that had reoccuring bouts of pancreas inflammation. It was a long time ago but the vet had us treat each incident by withholding food and limiting water for 24 and then starting back with a very restricted diet. When she was sick the first sign was always a gurgling in her stomach and then vomiting. She couldn't keep anything down. The vet told us this is common in spayed female dogs who have been fed table scraps. I didn't know anything about good dog nutrition back then and there weren't so many quality dog foods available so she got grocery store dog food supplemented with table scraps. More recently we took in a stray cat that was ill. The vet diagnosed her with the same thing but treated it with antibiotics. I don't know if that is a new treatment or just specific to cats. I know the inflammation can be serious if untreated but when we became intentional about how we fed Cindy her attacks became very infrequent. I can't remember exactly what we fed her after an attack but I think it was some plain white rice with a few bits of boiled chicken and gradually adding kibble back in. I also seem to remember we had been feeding once a day but started breaking the quantity into 2 or 3 feedings.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad to hear he seems better. I know what you meen about walking them. I carry something called Direct Stop. Its a citronella spray that is supposed to stop most dog attacks. I haven't had to use it so I don't know but I decided its better than nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts