Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, our Dakota has progressively decided she does not like to ride in our truck at all. She will have a bowel movement within about 5 min. in the crate almost guaranteed which makes it very difficult to take her anywhere with us. So we haven't take her out in the truck at all for a month or so which maybe is making this worse now. I think it has to do with anxiety possibly because she never does this in the house anymore, maybe a pee once in a while so we know she can hold it. Any ideas how to how to get her more comfortable?
Also, I have on and off taken her jogging with me and she's mainly on the grass next to me but obviously is on the pavement too and she really pulls me along a lot of the way. This has happened once before and now today when we got back, upon examination of her back feet, in 2 places the pads are all worn down and one is hanging off and it's worn all the way to the skin looks like. It's not bleeding but I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong. Should she not be running about 1-2 miles a day? She's over a year. I thought her pads would be toughened up by now and the vet even recommended running with her because she's 25 lb. now and they said she shouldn't gain anymore.
So these are my worries. Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For the paw pads, see your vet. It may just be callouses falling off. It may be nothing.

As for the poop in the vehicle, try this. Before putting her in your truck, or the crate, take her and an ice cube to her favorite spot for her business. Place her body between your legs, lift her tail, and place the ice on her anus. Within 10 seconds, she will be doing he duty and just drop the ice cube. We do this with Murphy all the time before any trips or guest arrivals.

Good luck.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Ice cube
Never heard of it, sounds interesting.

The vet gave me Bonine for Chloe's carsickness. I don't have a car, so she never quite got used to riding one. When we occasionally get a ride with someone, it just doesn't agree with her and she throws up (even peed on me once).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ice cube? I'll have try that. Caesar likes to poop on car rides too. I know it's because he his nervous.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've never heard of that.... Both of my girls hate riding in the car. Its not motion sickness, but anxiety, so they also get the poops and throw up. Maggie is the only one I can distract with a bone to chew on. Jasmine won't have it...

I'm going to try the ice cube...

Thanks MD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard of the ice cube trick, either! Will definitely give that a try before guests.

Oddly enough, Augie does very well in the car. She LOVES to go out with us. As soon as she sees me with my purse on she's ready to get in the car and go, go, go. Hopefully the ice cube trick will work for you Dakota3!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker has a hard time riding in our truck. He shakes and sloppers the entire time. We have taken to putting a towel down so the upolstery doesn't get soaked. He is a lot better riding in the car. He still is not great, but he is a lot better. I think it has something to do with the suspension in the truck. We plan on going to the beach next week and we are dreading the 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty loves car rides, he just drools SO much when in the car! The vet said it was just stress, but other then drooling, he loves the car. He jumps right in without any prompting, and sticks his nose out the window as far as he can!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah... Zbój loves both our car and the truck. It's hard to keep him on the floor mats cause he wants to see what's happening outside...

I guess he just got used to it since he's been riding with me from day one.

The ice cube idea sounds interesting. If it works, try it with Dakota. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke loves car rides since it usually means something fun for him. The only problem I have is that sometimes he tries to get up in the front seat and I want him in the back, so we're looking into a car harness.

The ice cube trick sounds really smart! That is a great idea to use right before a long ride or walk. I can totally see how it would work, sort of simulates the action a mother dog uses on ups. Thanks for the tip, Murphy's Dad!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm going to have to start crating Bones or maybe putting little booties on her feet for when we ride in the car. Both she and Spock ride in back, since they tend to want to crawl into my lap as we drive (if that's not a recipe for a car accident...). Bones went kind of batty the last time we went to PetSmart and scratched the tinting on the window of my boyfriend's car. Thanks for getting me into trouble, Bones! I was driving alone and couldn't reach back and stop her while driving. She wouldn't respond to my calling to her or any attempts to calm her down or placate her with treats or toys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts