Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
That is really sad to think that this poor dog is probably still suffering and has not received the proper pet care. That is exactly the reason that you should never buy a dog from a pet store. You are never going to get a completely healthy puppy when they are coming from a puppy mill. This just makes me sad.

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by GloverCharlie:
I would never buy a pet from a pet store except for one here in Australia called Petworks

They have medically trained staff taking care of the animals and then store staff to take care of the others. Their animals always look healthy and well taken care of. I wish there where more of them!
Have you ever thought about where these dogs come from before they are at the store? They are from puppy mills. They live in horrible conditions and it is cruel really. By purchasing from a pet store, you are supporting a puppy mill. They will tell you that they come from breeders but they don't. They might have "registration" papers but they don't mean anything either.

Sorry, I won't go into a rant on puppy mills but it is definitely something worth doing some research on.

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Well, no reputable breeder would EVER sell their dogs to a pet store so anyone who thinks that a pet store dog is from a reputable breeder is highly mistaken. A reputable breeder will screen all of their potential applicants and and make sure that the dog is going to the proper home.

Don't get me wrong, I have made the mistake as well and bought my dogs from BYB's. I have since learned a lot about BYB's and puppymils and know that any dog I get from here on out will be from a rescue or shelter. I know that the past of these dogs might be unknown but it is a fact that for every dog purchased from a BYB or puppy mill, 3 dogs are killed in shelters due to the over population problem.

You are correct in saying that it is not the dog's fault where he came from and yes, he does need a home but by purchasing from the pet store, you are directly or indirectly supporting the mill or BYB because you are funding the store to purchase more animals from them to make a profit. If you do not draw the line, how will places like this ever be shut down. It's all about supply and demand and if the demand is not there, these horrible places will be forced to close.

A reputable breeder will breed his dogs to better the breed, or to continue champion blood lines, not just because they have a cute dog and think that they would make cute puppies. Reputable breeders are not just in it for the money.

I won't even buy anything from a store that sells animals because that also helps them support BYB's or mills. Any profit that they make is only going to end up going towards things I do not agree with.

Here isjust one of many articles regarding pet store dogs:

http://members.aol.com/KARENKATO/petstore.html

· Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by janna:
I agree with Murphy's Dad too. I would never have given the pup back. I think my coworkers roommate did that to protect the other dog in the house. I don't know for sure, I will ask her and let you know. I would like to know what kind of infection it was as well. She didn't tell me.
I forgot to add, I agree with this as well, had I taken a dog and found out later that it was sick, I would have worked with the place to have him brought to a vet and treated properly but I never would have sent him back. He pretty much has no hope now if he is back at the pet store and back in the show case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.