Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks how have you been?
i have a question.
bernie has been diagnosed with hip displasia.
i think we went over this before but i cant find it. sorry for the repeat.
any ways, the doc says plenty of exercise,trim him down a bit,nsaids(for life), glucosamine, and adequain shots.
ok heres where the problems are.
one doc says 8 adequain shots to start, 2 a week for 4 weeks then once a month. another doc says once a month. another doc says 8 to start, then only when needed.
so how do i listen to here? the cost of getting second opinions is getting up there and im running out of $$ fast.
then i hear that nsaids are deadly to dogs no matter which ones you give them. then i here exercise for this is not a good idea either. what gives here on this?
another doc said glyco flex lll is good for bernie cause it has MSM,glucosamine, and condtoiton (sp) in it at pretty high doses.
dear lord this is just to much for me to figure out on my own here. please help. i need to hear from folks whos fur kids have been through this. will bernie beagle still have a chance for a long healthy life you think? im pretty lost on all of this as ive never experienced this before.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome Back!

I can't say for a Beagle, but my German Shephard had the Hip Displasia and I was giving her the adequain shots. We did the initial 8 and then once a month I brought her in for a shot. That is all we gave her. If I remember correctly, alot of excercise wasn't good, because it agrivated the joint, but a little is ok. Now my German Shephard was 10 and by the time we gave her adequain her hips were really gone, so it really kept her out of pain, but my vet said if it was around earlier in the stages it would have really helped..

I would say how much do you trust your vet and how on track he is...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cassie has had dysplasia for years. Her previous vet had her on aspirin therapy since she tolerated it well and the cost was minimal and it worked for her. The new vet has her on a supplement that contains gluc., MSM, and chondroitin.

She's at the age where surgery is not an option (12), but we do see the treatment isn't working as well as it had been, so we have to start looking into the next option, which is the adequain shots.

We do walk her, but only slow walks. Problem is every time we take her out, she wants to run and that does make her hurt later. We use massage therapy on the hips a lot and she loves it! If you have a pool, swimming is great exercise and easy on the joints.

Hope all goes well with Bernie. I know it's a scary diagnosis, but with love and care, he can still lead a full and healthy life. Just look at my Cassie working on 13 years old and she can still run a squirrel down faster than anything!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We need to check to see if your Bernie is related to our Sadie. Sadie had a herniated disk in her back last summer, remember? Just like Bernie. Our vet treated her with anti-inflammatories and steriods and rest. She recovered great. Then later in the summer she was limping badly and an x-ray showed mild hip displasia. It is very rare in Beagles our vet said. Sadie was treated with anti-inflammatories and rest. She now takes just Glucosomome suppliments for this and is fully recovered.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Bernie's Dad: Sadie took Rimydly which is an anti-inflammatory. There are some bad reports on this medication. But all I can say is it is the only thing that got Sadie through her pain. They never talked about doing any shots with Sadie for her back or her hip.

Is Bernie limping and in pain now?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rick,

Have you considered accupuncture or better yet hydrotherapy for Bernie. Tippi(bless her heart) improved considerably once we started her swimming. Give it some thought. Hugs to Bernie.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey folks thank you for your reply.
yeah bernie is 90MPH most of the time.
hes ok until he tries to hike his leg. then you notice the wobble. im just so confused. all doc's are saying something different. geez this is crazy. i think its best to at least get him started on the adiquan shots then figure out who's right.
at least they agree on the adiguan. the glyco-flex 3 was also suggested. anybody ever use it?
judy,lora mom of 2, nice to hear from you guys on this.
thanks to everybody infact. but please keep the suggestions coming, i sure could use the help.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We give ours Synoviv G3 Soft chews. They have glucosomine, MSM, Creatine, and some other vitamins. I think it really helps Sadie. She is a wild little girl and has no pain (knock on wood for luck). We hope she continues with this good spell. I would definitely recommend putting him on that glyco-flex. It is probably similar to what ours take.

I would just pick a vet that you like the best and trust the most. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer had the Adequan shots for the arthritis in her knees. It helped alot. As to how much, thats up to the vet.

As to the three vets varying statement... an old Chinese proverb:
"A man with one watch knows exactly what time it is.
A man with two watches is never quite sure."

Go with the one you trust most.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey mupphy/summers dad
im glad you too answered this post. i knew yours and mine had some of the same issues. i think i'll get him started at least, and keep up my research on this. the chews will be a good idea too i think. bernie is still 90MPH. cant slow him down. i try but get ran slap over. kinda like a speed bumb or sorts.
thank you to everybody who answered this post. as always im greatful. i hope everybody and their pup's are doing fine.
i'll keep you folks posted on whats happening with this crazy beag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts