Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenya just turned 4 months on July 4th. Few days before that, we took her in to get her distemper, parvo, and rabies vaccine. She weighed in at 13.2 pounds. Is that normal? Reason I ask is I've noticed that her stomach is getting a little bigger recently. I can still feel her rib cages easily, and she still looks proportionate for the most part. Or am I just being a paranoid dad? LOL

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy was a couple pounds less than that at 4 months, but Murphy is small for a beagle (both his parents were small). Right now at 8-1/2 months he's just over 15 pounds but fairly lean. We both try to walk at least 5 miles a day.

I think as long as Kenya looks proportionate and is getting enough exercise you're fine. Just remember that beagles will get obese if you let them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When we adopted JoJo, she was about 15 pounds. She was quite slender for her frame. (she's 17 months now)

She's now almost 21 pounds and we've been told to help her lose a few pounds. She's not heavy, but I can start to see a little pooch on her belly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are smart to be concerned about her weight, though I wouldn't be too concerned at this point if the vet did not mention anything. Keeping her weight at an appropriate level will prevent other problems as she matures and becomes an adult.

Her belly is probably just what I would call a 'puppy belly.' With plenty of exercise and proper nutrition, she'll be fine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky was 15.9lbs at his 16 week vet visit...he is just perfect! His mama is small and his dad is very stocky, but it's muscle, not fat.

If the vet didn't say anything I wouldn't worry, just make sure she's well exercised.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That sounds perfectly normal to me. Your beagle should gain about a pound per week for the first 6 months. After then you might see continued weight gain but at a slower rate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it really depends on the dog, their build, their parents, etc. Snoopy will be <span style="font-weight: bold">5 years old </span>in October. I just had her at the vet on Monday for her annual shots/checkup. We had a discussion about weight and she said Snoopy was at a perfect weight.
She weighed in at 21.4 pounds. So as you can see she is on the small side for a beagle.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. As she gets older and she is gaining weight then ask the vet if he/she thinks sh is overweight. It really depends on the size of your beagle's body frame that should help determine her normal weight range

1 - 9 of 9 Posts