Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle is a little overweight, he is 18 months old and weighs 17kgs. I give him home cooked food as well as dog food. Can anyone suggest a good diet, which will help in reducing weight as well as maintaining it? And also his exercises are reduced due to hight temperatures where I live. It is really hot almost throughout the day, so it becomes difficult for us to go out and play and there is not enough space in home for him to run. I do take him out to play early morning and on walks twice a day.
Any suggestions on what diet should I give and what is the bet way of maintaining weight?

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
My beagle is a little overweight, he is 18 months old and weighs 17kgs. I give him home cooked food as well as dog food. Can anyone suggest a good diet, which will help in reducing weight as well as maintaining it? And also his exercises are reduced due to hight temperatures where I live. It is really hot almost throughout the day, so it becomes difficult for us to go out and play and there is not enough space in home for him to run. I do take him out to play early morning and on walks twice a day.
Any suggestions on what diet should I give and what is the bet way of maintaining weight?
Be careful with the homemade food that there aren't too many calories. You can use things like peas and canned plain pumpkin to fill him up without the calories. Watch out for treats too, they can add up those calories too. You can play games in the house for exercise. I like to play "chase me" - show them a treat, have them do a trick and then run with it so they chase me. Fun way to burn calories.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I agree with MM , I would avoid homemade food because of the calories and the possibility of introducing grease which could cause Pancreatitis. I recommend using canned green beans ( low sodium type is best) as a filler and reduce the amount of food equal to the beans.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If I'm understanding this correctly 17 kgs is equivalent to 37 lbs. That seems more than a little overweight. I agree with the others. Cut down on food, stop the home made food. Definitely keep up the early morning/later evening walks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The other thing is, the feeding guide on bags is often overblown. Use it as an idea, but be prepared to not feed recommended amount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'll surely make some changes! I am from a small town in India, and even though good brands of dog food are available, still the vets here prefer to feed homemade food for some reason. And shockingly the vets I have consulted here doesn't find him overweight. And trust me, I have seen beagles around here who have big bellies and I don't want my boy to become like them. So I have started to take proper care of his diet.
He was perfectly well till 12 months, he gained all the extra weight in last 6 months.
I feed him boiled fresh green beans, pumpkin, zucchini or carrots with brown rice or indian bread (roti), And quarter cup of dog food (farmina n&d) and use kibbles as treats. My father does feed him extra food without telling anyone, cause he things we feed him less. That's how Indian parents are with kids. So I guess that is ome of the main reasons of my beagle being overweight. And also lack of exercise.
So I'll take care of everything from now on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also can you all suggest a good brand of dog food, or something specific to reduce and maintain weight?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
A dog's life could be shotened when very overweight.
My dog has a slim shape and weighs about 27lbs.. about 12.2 kg. Cassie is 9yrs old.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm not sure what brands of dog food are available in India. I look for food that has meat as the top ingredients.

Currently we feed Acana (grain free). There is the potential (I don't believe it's fully been established, it's thought) that legumes in dog food can cause a heart condition. We are moving to a grain inclusive formulation of Acana that does not have legumes - it's new. The boys are like the grain-free so I think they'll like the grain inclusive.

Keep us updated on how he's doing :)

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Could you post a picture of your dog.
I feed my dog a fresh dod food called Freshpet.. it comes in a roll in the refrigerated section of the pet store. I dont think it comes in India. It does contain grains as discussed by Neb. There is some evidence that "grain-free" dog food may lead to heart disease. Bottom line is get the best dog food you can afford. Your dog is a member of the family.
The best thing is to get the people in your household to NOT feed human food .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts