Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still new to having my beagle puppy dixie. We are still learning alot of stuff but we are having a few issues. Ive read a few dog whisper books watched some video's and looking for a good trainer. One big problem we have right now is over excitement. We try and take her out as much as we can and we have our two daughter play with her each day. She just gets really really excited. Barking and jumping. We wait for her to calm down and then if shes really excited put her onto her side to help her calm down but these are not seeming to help her. We know the more we exercise her the more relaxed she will be. Is there any ideas on how to help with this over excitement?

Thanks in advance.
Shayne

·
Registered
110 Posts
Beagle pups can be very excitable but in my experience nothing calms beagles down more than a good long walk. Although very young pups aren't supposed to be out too long, maybe more short walks would be the answer.

How long and how often are you taking Dixie out for?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree that walks are great for releasing that energy. My girls can wrestle with each other, run around the backyard at full speed, but the energy is still there. Go for a walk, and they get tired. Another thing for the excitement is using a crate. They seem to calm down a lot when they are put in the crate. They just go to sleep and they seem to enjoy being in there. When the furniture is already full of dogs or people in the evenings, they will sleep in the crate.

We put Tucker in a crate once.....Once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beagle pups can be very excitable but in my experience nothing calms beagles down more than a good long walk. Although very young pups aren't supposed to be out too long, maybe more short walks would be the answer.

How long and how often are you taking Dixie out for?
We try to take her out 2 times a day. One for 30minutes, then another for about 15. WE also have the girls chase her around a lot. For about 10-15 minutes at a time. We always try to keep her active. Shes still young but hopefully she will grow out of it a little. As for the crate she will bark as long as we let her. She has gone over a hour before barking. Its hard to sit and listen to her bark.

Thanks again
Shayne

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like the exercise is about right for a very young pup, so maybe you should look at diet. It's only a suggestion but maybe if you double check the feeding charts on the food you give Dixie, you may discover that you are giving too much food. Food = energy, so if Dixie is getting overexcited easily it may well be excess energy due to over large portions- I'm at a loss at what else to suggest. Hopefully rountine will eventually calm Dixie down so don't give up heart!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a great idea. Ill check the dog food bag and see if that maybe thats whats causing it.

Thanks for the help.
Shayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts