Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! As many of you know, Maggie has not been doing too well. Trying to find a bland food that she will eat has been a major feat. Finally succumbed to cooking ground beef and she does eat it but she obviously can't survive on just ground beef or ground beef and Nutrical. She has been losing about a lb. every two weeks. Every time I added some veggies or starch to the ground beef, she would lick them off and spit them out and eat the ground beef. Brainstorm!! I went and bought a food processor -- put in the cooked ground beef, canned potatoes, canned carrots, canned green beans, baby sweet potatoes and yogurt and minced away! We are on day 4 of her cleaning her bowl three times a day. HOORAY!! She still has diarrhea but am hoping that the fiber in the food will help with that. She is alert and chipper in spite of everything going on -- she is a real trooper!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'm glad you found a way to get Maggie to eat! Are you putting the Nutrical in there too?

I wonder if Henry and Kelsey will eat there dog food if I grind it up. They walk around looking like they are hungry but the food in the bowls are untouched. Henry is really good at it.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankfully, Mags' food doesn't look too bad - kind of like a finely chopped stew. I don't eat ground beef so was a little wary about the smell from cooking it but I have to get her the lowest fat content I can find (found 97/3) and it doesn't have any odor when cooking -- guess it is the fat that smells! Denise -- forgot to mention that, after all the chopping, I put Maggie's food in her bowl (small corning ware bowl) and heat it up in the microwave, just to warm it up. This afternoon I forgot to do that and she smelled it and walked away -- I microwaved it and she gobbled it all up! She loves the Nutrical -- it has a high sugar content. She is on 1/2 a tablet of Flagyl twice a day and it is extremely bitter so I use the Nutrical as a "chaser". If you have any thoughts about what else I can add to her food to increase nutrition, please let me know. I was thinking about pumpkin -- folks have mentioned that here before. Also going to check the epi-angels website -- there is a home-cooked liver-friendly diet on there. I am trying to stay away from anything that I have to cook aside from the ground beef. Just don't have the energy to do more than that! Will get latest chem panel results Monday or Tuesday -- am not too optimistic since we had to stop her keto (Cushings' med) and she's had such a rough month. Definitely see a negative difference in her skin since we stopped the keto -- had to give her a bath today -- used the ground beef as treats!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am very pleased that you found something nutritious AND tasty... the eternal quest. Hope Maggie gets better fast. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good old maggie. Keep eating girl. Glad you have found a way of getting her to eat veg. Hope maggie improves soon.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Beagles sure seem to keep up all on our toes. I think we have all been in the situation of trying to do the best for our little furry ones. Maggie is such a sweetheart. I know you are like me and are constantly trying to make things better for easier for her. I am not much of a cook but have risen to the occasion when having a sick pup. Pressure cookers, grinders, slow cookers all got dusted off when sick dog needs it. Can she have any fish, like tuna? I had one Beagle that adored tuna. I think it also activated her nose into high gear! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:Originally posted by BoulderBeagles:
Can she have any fish, like tuna? I had one Beagle that adored tuna. I think it also activated her nose into high gear! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I tried both cooked chicken and canned tuna before going to the ground beef -- really did think the tuna would entice her -- I was wrong! Keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't get tired of the current combo!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Judy, I'm sorry that Miss Maggie isn't doing well. I am happy to hear that you've found a way to get her to eat. The food doesn't sound too horrible. Kind of like a nice canned food. I'm sure Jersey would love it. I thought about doing something like that when the whole dog food fiasco was going on earlier this year.

The pumpkin sounds like a good idea to me. It's very high in fiber and is supposed to be binding. That may help Maggie's diarhhea.

Give her some extra belly rubs from Jersey and me. I hope that she keeps feeling better.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Judy,

I think the pumpkin is a great idea! Like somebody mentioned a while back, be sure it's a can of pumpkin and not pie filling. (that's the kind of mistake I would make). Rice would also bind her up...maybe throw a little of that in there.

So Maggie likes her food warm. Don't we all? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So, so happy she is eating! :happyhappy:

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Glad to hear Maggie is eating! I agree the pumpkin could be helpful with her diarhea. Keep cleaning that bowl Miss Maggie!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi Judy,
You can also remove a little more fat from the meat by rinsing it in a colander after cooking. That gets most of the grease off the surface.
Connie

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Glad to hear you found a way to get Maggie interested in all her food. It's amazing how smart our fur-babies are and to what lengths we have to go to get over on them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm new here ... and have only limited connectivity with the larger Beagle World family ... but I too am glad to hear that Maggie is eating. Is that Maggie in your avatar? She is just beautiful!

Yes, the blender can come in very handy for any number of situations. My newly adopted Eddie arrived with a couple of bad teeth ... and after surgery the blender proved to be quite helpful in softening his food ... to make things easier for him. And like you ... I've used it to ensure that other of my dogs didn't pick and choose so much.

My best to you and Maggie.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Judy I'm so glad you've found a way to get Maggie to become a member of the Clean Plate Club! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I know how alarming her weight loss is. The stew you're making for her sounds yummy, and I think the addition of pumpkin and/or rice might help her diarrhea. Sure hope so. Please give her a hug for me, and tell her Shiloh says to eat some for her!! (That would be the only way I'd get any veggies in her! :rolleyes: )

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:Originally posted by Cody of Overlook House:
Is that Maggie in your avatar? She is just beautiful!
Yup, that's my Mags -- of course I am prejudiced but I think she is a pretty lady and now a very petite lady! Still liking her food but not eating as much as she needs to maintain her weight and the last two mornings I have had to give her valium for pain. This morning she slept in so late that I kept checking on her to make sure she was breathing! Should get latest chem panel results back tonight and will discuss food with the vet -- hard to really know how much she should be eating to maintain but am sure a cup a day won't cut it. I know the vet is concerned that she may have developed inflammatory bowel disease on top of everything else ... just going to try and treat symptoms and make her comfortable and not put her through more tests, especially biopsies.
Many, many thanks to all our BW friends for your kind thoughts and suggestions -- your support is very important to me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts