Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have an opportunity to get another beagle from my sister in law, later on this month. The thing is, that she is an outside dog at the moment, but she arooos all day long. Beings that I , live in an older person neighborhood, I would like to switch her to an inside dog.

She is 7 months old, but I'm not sure how hard it will be to transform her, ie., potty training, chrewing etc. Also, I do not have a crate, but I could make one if need be.

Has anyone 'transformed' their beagles, and if so, how much stress does it take?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl was between 12 and 18 months old when we adopted her. We know nothing of her background, but I really don't believe she'd been an inside dog. My husband had built a crate for previous dogs, so we started Li'l Girl in it at night, and let her out of it during the day when we could watch her. We had 2 other dogs when she came, and since they were allowed in the house, it didn't take Li'l Girl any time to think that's where she should be, too.

It didn't take long to house train her, and would have taken even less time if she hadn't gotten sick after being spayed.

Since you already have a beagle in the house, I really don't think you'd have much of a problem. It's my guess that she'll be happier, and that the constant arooing will stop.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My guess is that the barking and aroooing come from her being outside alone all day. She's probably just lonely and bored! I've never had to make an outside dog and inside dog, but I don't think it would be too hard. You've got another dog that she can follow around and learn the ropes from. She'll probably be very grateful not to be left alone outside all day.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I rescued a beagle called Sherry on the 2nd May. She is 9 years old and has spent ALL her life as an outside dog.

Sherry has adjusted to indoor life brilliantly. She is still learning the "house rules" and often forgets or doesn't understand yet what she is and isn't allowed to do. Some days she is better than others, probably when she is tired /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif but some days she is full of life and forgets that she isn't allowed to use my furniture as a trampoline, try and dig holes in the leather couch or jump up at the cooker when I'm making dinner.

I'm pleased to say that she hasn't had an accident in the house once and hasn't chewed up anything either.

So if you can rehabilitate a 9 year old into being a housedog then I'm sure a 7 month old will pose very few problems /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds really promising. Hopefully, everything will work out and she'll move in with us by July. My father in law(the house owner) will be here at the time that we are to pick her up, so we might have to wait a few more weeks until he leaves. Thanks for your input. I'll let you all know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts