Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story- Both of my canines live outside in a pen coz my parents grew up keeping pets outside. Many people think it's fine and all, but I did some research, and personally think it's cruel. My parents don't want them to live inside, because they think it will be to hard to housebreak them. Please help me out on convincing them

Thanx!
~ Russell

So... :thumbup: or :nono5:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If kept in good conditions (large pen, good shelter, a lot of interaction from the humans, lots of water, etc) I wouldn't call it cruel. Me personally I don't keep my pets outside, but I was not raised with having outside pets either.

Abby is not just my "dog" she's my best friend. She is part of the family, not an outsider looking in. I feel safer having her and the cat as inside pets. Abby can go outside whenever she wants for as long or short as she wants...I feel she gets the best of both worlds.

As far as what your parents said...it's just an excuse and they'll continue to find one even if you completely justify your point with research and polls. They don't want the dogs in the house, plain and simple. The best thing you can do is take the best care of them you can while they are outside. Taking the time to train the dog(s) wouldn't hurt either.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I can't say if it's cruel or cool. Personally, back home our dog is outside in the yard, but has a very big doghouse, shade, play area, etc. He is allowed inside when it's raining and cold.
The only reason he is not inside on a regular basis is that he sheds like there is no tomorrow. If he is inside for a day, it means we sweep the house for a week after theat collecting bunches of his hair from all corners of the house. Due to the fact he was raised ourside since he was a puppy, we never trained him, but it's a miracle - when he is in the house, he never goes potty (yeay). This is why I don't think it's cruel.
It would be cruel if the dog doesn't have a shaded area, big kennel, play area and not taken out regularly for exercise and walks...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dogs are pack animals and need interaction with their pack (and humans).....as long as I guess they have that (and ofcourse they are protected from the weather and such)...I think its a personal choice. Ofcourse the breed of the dog matters too...

Just my thoughts!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
my German Sheppard, Bluto, was an outdoor dog. He was too big to be in the house, but he had shade fresh water, food, and alot of playing area. we had to keep him on a lead though, cause he would jump the fence and terrorized the neighborhood.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Whether it's cruel or not depends on the dog and housing conditions.....but on a personal note I don't see the point of owning a dog if it's not going to be by my side and interacting with me. I don't think I'd get much enjoyment out of having a dog that's just locked out the back.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've had rescue dogs since I can remember (bout 60 years now) and everyone of them have been an outside dog until I rescued the Bagel. He still is outside about 12 hours a day but when I come home from work he expects to be with his pack. If the Bagel had a lab buddy like Cowboy, he might get to stay out longer. If beagles are left outside, they do need a companion, they need their pack more than other breeds. That said, if the outside dog has sufficient shelter, human interaction and good care, there ain't nuthin creul bout it!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Growing up, we've had German Shepherds and then huskies. They were all "inside" dogs and had backyards to go to.

As Snoopyminky said, it doesn't make much sense to have a dog if it is going to be kept outside. Our dogs were/are always active members of the family. I like having them close to me.

Outside dogs always seem so lonely. I feel sorry for them. I realize that some outside dogs are more loved than others (same with inside dogs) but I just like having my dogs with me.

And like Jamie said, I feel that my dogs are safer when they are inside...

At least your two dogs have each other, Russel.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
This is a touchy subject. I can understand that your parents are worried it will be harder to housebreak their dogs now that they're used to living outside. And that may be the case, I don't know. But leaving them outside 24/7 is so unfair to the dogs. Do they have doghouses or something to protect them from the weather? What happens if their food or water bowls get knocked over? Is the yard fenced in? If not, what protection do they have from a stray dog or person for that matter who might come into the yard and bother them? And if so, what if a neighboring kid or someone decided to throw rocks or something over the fence at them? And my biggest question is: why do you even have dogs if you insist on keeping them outside all the time?
Sorry, this is a real pet peeve of mine! :soapbox:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I am on the "inside" column. I love having them with me. They make me smile, they make me laugh and if I am in a rotten mood, they break through and lift my spirits. Mine have a doggy door and can come and go as they please. With 3 of them there is no chance that I could coordinate bladders! But while on this subject, I need to vent! I live in a small college town not in the badlands of the Dakotas where wildlife abound, but we still have frequent meandering and visiting wildlife - bears, mountain lions, moose, etc. Within the last week there have been two instances of, only what I can characterize as, the shallow end of the gene pool at work. The first one has 3 dogs that are not allowed in the house but must sleep on the fenced deck because the husband "has allergies". Mr. Mountain Lion says, gee how nice 3 snacks left out for me. No deaths, but some major injuries to the poor dogs. The second instance, and this reaaaaaly gets my hackles up - the guy ties the dog up outside because "the house is too small! Mr. Mountain Lion says, gee a snack that can not get away. The guy hears the dog being dragged away and comes out with his rifle and kills the mountain lion saying it would have come after him after it dropped the dog. The authorities are going to charge him with killing the lion out of season and using a "baited trap" to lure the mountain lion. The baited trap was the poor dog! These people are so thick I just want to scream that these are living breathing things, not something you can not be bothered with at night. The guy is screaming that he had a right to defend himself. Be that as it may, his dog was just being offered up as a midnight snack. They fine people for leaving things out that attract bears but just ignore the poor dogs. Enough of my venting, but I would just like to shake them. :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Well, when I was little, my parents had had many dogs and they were big dogs, keep the family safe my parents said. But I was little and they didn't want them to be around me, so they kept them outside in the yard. They built a nice den, I remember every now and then they will let them out and I of course will be locked up in the house. Later on we had smaller dogs, and they were allowed to even played with ME. Ever since then, all dogs and cats should be in the house. Trust me we had so many it looked like a barn a one point. I grew up with animals around me.
I do not think it is cruel as long as they kept them well, clean and well fed, play time with human.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Our pack has the best of both worlds. Like the Bagel, our dogs are outside in a purpose built, half in cover, run, with a purpose built kennel when we are at work. They positively jump and bark with excitement when we say the words "in the run!". When we come home they are with us. They class the run as their space and actually it is no different to the concept of crating, which is about providing a safe environment that the dogs come to recognise as their own. I would recommend the best of both worlds, but definately don't consider dogs being outside as cruel.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bluto didn't like coming inside the house, Plus I built him a semi house, and even lined it with carpet! lol

he rather be running outside then inside the house, even during the heat.

We put a kid swimming pool out there for him during the heat and he use to splash in it and run back and forth on the lead.

If it wasn't for his climbing ablity he would have stayed off the leash, but he can climb a fence as high as 6 ft. Plus he wasn't a socialable dog, we had to post beware of dog signs around the house.
But he was a very loyal dog, he never harmed a kid that we brought out there, He even protected them from harm. But if we wasn't back there with him, he was on full guard alert and he didn't take any prisoners.

Plus our house at the time wasn't the biggest, and with a small horse running through it, he was known to break alot of stuff. But then again it was usually the screen door that got broke the fastest cause he wanted outside.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think it's cruel as long as the dogs have proper shelter, food and water. However, I also don't think you should have a dog if you don't want to have it with you. I enjoy having Jersey with me. She makes my life better. I laugh, smile, relax...all because of her. She's my soul mate. Plus, dogs (Beagle's especially) are pack animals. They want to be with their "pack", which happens to be us. Personally, I would never keep my dog outside. Although, I do wish that I had a house with a nice back yard for Jersey to play in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Derby is my best friend too, Genie. When their dishes are knocked over, we staralize them. They each have a dogloo to protect them from rain, etc.
They have a big tree for shade. They both sleep in our storage shed in crates at night. With a fan and a heater. I play with them alot, and tie them out about twice a weak. I walk them about once a day(sometimes 2), and make sure they get plenty of exercise. They get plenty of water.

The environment's OK, I repeat, OK. BUT(yeay), we're getting their pen remodeled within the next three weex! It will have flat stone or concrete, more grass and less dirt, It will be smaller(as it's already huge), and easier to manage.

But, I still wish they were inside with us...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It sounds to me Russell that the situation and living arrangements that you provide for your dogs is very satisfactory and the fact that you have two dogs so they are company for each other is even better.

I don't think that dogs living outside, "under the right circumstances" is cruel. But I would never have a dog if it was to be kept exclusively outside as like Genie said, i cannot see the point in it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well my last rescue Joshua, did not like coming in the house and with one exception, could not be coaxed (he could be commanded to) in the house. We would play fetch and he would place the end of his two front paws on the carpet (place the ball between them and then roll the ball across the floor to me rather than bring the ball inside. Jennifer may be the only one that remembers my story of when he scratched on the door about 11:15 one morning. I had a class to teach at the University and was just about to leave the house. I opened the back door and macho Joshua (German Sheppard) darted in the house, seached the whole house and holed up in the back of the spare bathroom off my laundry room. No coaxing could get him to move so I got his water, put in the bathrrom, and left for school/ About a mile away from home I figured out what had spooked him. The only tornado I've ever seen in Nevada (Think we have had three in the whole state in the last 50 years). The twister was doing what all twisters do, looking for a trailer park about three miles from house (it found it!) and when I cam back from class, Josh wanted back out of the house. I figure the room he found was a far from outside as he could get! I've never denied my rescues access to my house but all except Bagel when I'm home preferred outside! Go figure!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yep I remember that story well Bob.

I think if you get a rescue and they have obviously spent all their previous life living outside and make it clear that's what they want to carry on doing then that's fine.

Sherry was an outside dog but is more than happy to now be an inside dog curled up in front of the fire /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts