Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have only been at it for a few days, but I don't see how to make these strategies work. Doozer is presenting me with a problem. He likes to pee in the apartment. Typical I know, but I have been trying the strategies I have found on here i.e. shouting NO! when he starts to pee on the floor then taking him outside. The thing is, once outside, he won't pee. I let him walk around for about 10 minutes and then bring him back in. We're barely through the door and he starts to pee again. I take him out again and the process continues. I can't get him to go outside!!! I'm running out of ideas! Open to suggestions.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Is Doozer crated during the day? He apparently has a spot he likes to pee in, and goes back there. You need to clean the area where he is peeing with vinager/odor remover (for doggies, not humans) so that he won't smell the pee scent.

Though I didn't use it, I really recommend crate training, just from knowing many dog owners who had succeeded!
Have Doozer in his crate during the day, when taking him out of the crate, immediately take him outside (carry him outside at first, or he'll pee on the floor). When he pees outside, praise-praise-praise and treat him. Then and only then you can have him outside the crate under your supervision.

Don't feel sorry for him, in no time he will see the crate as his safe haven and will love being in it. You can feed him in there at first, treat when he goes in there on his own- that will make him associate the crate as something good.

It takes a little bit of time, but it works the best.

Good luck!

·
Registered
509 Posts
hmm I haven't really had this problem with Glover, my 5 month old but have you tried taking him out after each meal and play time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doozer is crated (man that sounds horrible!) As soon as I get home in the afternoon, I put him on the leash and take him out. We walk around for about a half an hour and then I come in and (attempt to) relax. It is after taking him out that he pees inside. I have been doing the vinegar cleaning on each spot immediately after I get him outside. He hasn't hit the same spot twice yet and so far I have mitigated any stains on the white carpet in this apartment. Oh how I long to praise him for peeing outside.

Should I put him back in the crate after taking him out even though he has been in there all day? if so, should he be able to see me? currently the crate is in the bedroom. thanks for the response. This isn't my first dog, but he is the first that is an "inside" dog.

·
Registered
250 Posts
at the start i took diesel out after he did anything. play, eat, drink, nap... anything.. and i would stay out till he went potty. then praise him and give him treats. he is fully potty trained now except for the occasional accident when he gets excited.

but i would say to take him out all the time, and to stay out until he goes potty..

it takes a lot of patients especially when you have to take your dog out in temps of around 11 degrees

but he will learn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after the first post, i put Doozer in the crate and left him in there (killed me to look at him like that) but, after I gave him his dinner in the crate, I took him outside. After about 5 minutes, there it was. I gave him as many Good boys and enthusiastic scratches and pets as I could. I guess this is just the start but this makes things much better.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Dustin:
Doozer is crated (man that sounds horrible!) As soon as I get home in the afternoon, I put him on the leash and take him out. We walk around for about a half an hour and then I come in and (attempt to) relax. It is after taking him out that he pees inside. I have been doing the vinegar cleaning on each spot immediately after I get him outside. He hasn't hit the same spot twice yet and so far I have mitigated any stains on the white carpet in this apartment. Oh how I long to praise him for peeing outside.

Should I put him back in the crate after taking him out even though he has been in there all day? if so, should he be able to see me? currently the crate is in the bedroom. thanks for the response. This isn't my first dog, but he is the first that is an "inside" dog.
Don't look at it as something bad. They don't feel jailed and you shouldn't feel like you are keeping him prisoner. They actually like it there.
It makes perfect sense to put the crate somewhere where he can still feel a part of the pack. He can see you, you can communicate with him. If you are not available to play with him and keep an eye on him while he is out (always in a closed area) - don't leave him out. Just put him in the crate. At first it will seem like he is there all the time (and he will be...) but the periods of time where he is in the crate will decrease and eventually he will only be there when he wants to (once he is potty trained of course).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't believe it, Doozer escaped today while I was at work I was greeted with many presents in the living room. I guess I will have to tie the latch down. Couldn't believe it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
consistency, praises, etc., he will get it. How long have you been at it? how old is he?

When he does go outside, praise him, pop a treat in his mouth. While you are walking queue him by saying go pee pee or whatever you want to call it. When he goes, treat, praise, and say good pee pee. He will connect the phrase with peeing and getting a treat/praise. Pretty soon, he will know outside is the spot and when you say pee pee he will go on command. (even if it's just a little bit)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When we got Duke, he refused to potty outside. Every day I worked with him for over a week and no success. Finally, one day I decided to stay out there until he went, no matter what. I was out there for a very long time (close to an hour) and he finally went! I gave him a treat and praised him.

It was a very long process for us. It takes time, patience, and like Marley's Mommy said, consistency. Eventually, your efforts will pay off and you'll have Doozer trained.

Sorry, but have to LOL at him escaping from his crate. You've got a crafty beagle on your hands!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts