Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3 1/2 month old beagle got suddenly very sick tonight. We called our regular vet across the river, but they were not available because of the holiday weekend. We called their emergency contact (in St Igance) and they told us to get our puppy to a vet on our side ASAP.

We called the emergency line for the Sault Ste Marie, ON vets and were told a vet would call us right away to assess the situation. About 4-5 minutes later a vet did phone, as soon as he heard we took our puppy to the USA side vet he said no one was available tonight and hung up on us refusing to help.

Our puppy died 3 hours later.

I thought vets were supposed to love animals and want to help them? I have never been so disgusted by a person's behaviour in my life. He refused to treat our puppy because we used an American vet? Why does it matter? He died tonight and he was just a baby, when something could have been done to save him.

He was so little and full of energy, and it's just killing me that he had to die. Especially in so much pain. :sad: We're both traumatized by this, and don't know what to do for our adult female beagle right now. We've gotten her some antianxiety drops to help keep her calm. She keeps smelling his trails and trying to find him, my poor girl.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm so sorry and agree this is not right. I know it sounds stupid but most vets are not the same as they used to be. I can't even find words to comfort you.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am truly truly sorry that this has happened. And saddened by the story of the vet. Thoughts and hugs to both of you and your older beagle.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am truely sorry for your loss. Please notify the breeder if possible also put forth a complaint in writing about the vets.
(((hugs))) I will light a candel.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss!

I hope that when you can face it, you call the vet and let him know that your puppy died from his neglect. Also, I would contact the agency that regulates vets and make a formal complaint. It will not bring Duncan back, but maybe it will save another animal's life.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I am truly sorry for your loss :( I cannot imagine treatment being refused, how awful.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Truly sorry for your loss....I honestly could not imagine what you are going through. We are all here to support you if you need anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. A local online newssource wants to try and run a story about what happened to us and Duncan. I posted below what I wrote our for him to look at.

Apparently Canadian vets are allowed to refuse treatment to any animal because they are small business owners. The answering service for the vets wouldn't give us the name of the vet that was on call that night, but we know someone who may be able to find out the name for us. We plan to file a formal complaint even if there is nothing the college of vets can do.

We're going to call the breeder tomorrow night. It's just been to hard to talk on the phone about it right now. I didn't sleep for over 48 hours, and have only been sleeping with the help of melatonin. I honestly feel traumatized, and just horrible that there was nothing we could do to save him.

"Our puppy (Duncan) was in fit form all day. Running, playing, being a normal puppy. It was around 9PM and he had an accident in the house and was seeming kind of lethargic. We noticed his breathing was laboured and decided to call our vet (in the USA). No one was there because of the American Thanksgiving. So we decided to try the local veterniary emergency line.
We called, and I guess it's an answering service for all the vets in town. They said they would have a vet call us back right away. In about 5 minutes a vet called back (didn't identify himself), asked us where the puppy had been vaccinated. We told him we took him across the river, but no one was available there right now as it was a holiday and we were really worried about him. The vet proceeded to say "Well no one is available here right now either." and then hung up on us.
At this point we were desperate and called the vet emergency contact for our American vet. She turned out to be in St Ignace. She got us to check his air ways, we did that and could not see anything blocking them. We checked all the electrical/cable cords in the house. Nothing had been chewed. Our floors were clean, nothing on them and he was always supervised by someone. If he wasn't, he was in his crate so he couldn't have gotten into anything. She said we needed to get him seen straightaway, and gave us the emergency line for Sault, ON vets. We then told her what had happened when we called there. She told us to call another vet in Sault, MI, to see if anyone was there to help us. We called there, and left a message but no one got back to us.
At this point Duncan had stopped breathing, so my boyfriend started giving him mouth to mouth to help him breathe. He came back to us, and we called the vet in St Ignace again. At this point we thought maybe it was an allergic reaction. She looked up the amount of Benydryll we could give him and told us to call her back in 15-20 minutes to see if it had worked at all.
We called the Sault, ON dispatch line again, and the answering service told us that the vet would not work with someone who uses an American vet. So we were screwed. There was literally nothing we could do. We asked for the name of the vet on call, she said she COULD NOT release that information to us.
Twenty minutes later, we thought Duncan was getting better. We called the vet back in St Ignace, and said we think he may be getting better but it may just be false hope on our part. We thanked her again for trying to help us save our puppy.
He didn't get better...He got worse. My boyfriend had to give him air a couple more times. Then Duncan started coughing up blood and twitching. We tried everything we could think of, using google trying to find anything to save him. But he was gone. He died with us by his side in a pool of his own blood on our kitchen floor. He had spent his last hours screaming in pain, when someone on this side could have at least taken a look at him. If there was nothing to be done, he should've at least been able to get some medication to pass peacefully. He should not have had to suffer like that, we should not have had to be traumatized like that.
Our adult female beagle is on anti-anxiety drops right now, because of the stress this has caused her.
In August when we adopted Callee from the Humane Society we got her vaccinated at a local vet. A couple weeks later she got an UTI and they told us we had to take her to the clinic where she was spayed...In Alberta. This is why we started going across the river in the first place."

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
This truly brought tears to my eyes. I am soooo sorry for your tragic loss. I can't imagine a vet refusing treatment like that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow i just read this... and I'm truly sorry for your loss... seriously I was reading through and it made my eyes very very watery! it is absolutely ridiculous how they denied treatment for your puppy! >:O

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's tragic and infuriating to hear such stupidity leads to a dogs death.

I'd do the three without hesitiation.

Contact the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Canadian Veterinary Medical Association - Contact Us and the College of Veterinarians of Ontario The College of Veterinarians of Ontario - Contact Us.

Then I would contact your local humaine society and SPCA. They could be recommending this veterinary practice and need to know they have refused treatment.

Then I'd call the vet back and tell them you've reported them.

Duncan may have passed either way and there may be laws and entitlements in place for vets.....but if you refuse to treat an animal you should be reported.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am so sorry, i am reading this with tears in my eyes. What a traumatic night for you and your family. I am so sorry you had to go through this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your pup. Definitely follow Sullivan's Momma's advice and get this incident into the written records of the local animal shelters, humane societies, and professional veterinary associations. I don't know what the situation is on the border, but abandonment of a patient in need and abrogation of professional duty is flat-out wrong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i am so sorry to hear this story. this is disgusting behaviour for any vet?? in the uk we dont have this problem as far as im aware? you just call up on any day or night and then you can visit the 24 hour emergency clinic that your vet refers you to. poor little chap, what a shame he had to suffer just because of some rule about what side of the river you are on??. thoughts are with you all x

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I have not replied before now, I was taking a bit of a break from everything and just concentrating on our other beagle Callee.

Our story got published on a local newssite, and there was a lot of response. Both positive and negative, people blaming us for choosing an American vet. <sigh>

We've written complaints about the vet to send away, but unfortunatly he will not be punished. Vets in Ontario are techinically small business owners and have the right to refuse any clientele no matter the reason.

I e-mailed our breeder to let them know what happened to Duncan (incase any other pups report with symptoms), but I truly believe it was an allergy as it was SO sudden. His symptoms were very much like anyphalactic shock would be in a human.

The breeder very very kindly offered us another puppy from his current litter for free. I was so surprised as we were not expecting that at all. We had the choice to wait for the spring litter, but it would be the same set of beagles that Duncan came from breeding so they would look too much like him I think. :( This puppy (male) will be very dark mostly black and brown, not at all like Duncan (heavily mottled).

I miss my little guy everyday. We got him cremated and the ashes returned to us, it didn't feel right to just "dispose" of the remains. Callee misses him a lot (we had her on antianxiety meds) and I'm hoping have a new companion will be good for her.

Thank-you all for being so supportive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow.. that really brought tears.. i can't imagine how heart breaking & so very stressfull that was for you, there is nothing worse than being so helpless, i remember watching the video footage ages ago of Duncan with your other Beagle *hugs*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts