Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Our 15 month old girl, Noon, is absolutely petrified of the window cleaners that drop by every 6 months.

Our place and history: We live in a high-rise condo at the top floor where the living room and bedroom (where she sleeps) is covered floor to ceiling in windows. The first time she had a scare was when she was a pup (about 6-7 months old) inside her playpen and the cleaners dropped their ropes outside the windows to ferry themselves down to the windows which absolutely caught her by surprise and she ended up pooping and peeing all over the place.

Current situation: Cleaners decided to drop by again day before yesterday and she's been terrified, shivering for hours on end not drinking or eating food properly.

My concerns and steps taken: I'm concerned now that if this happens every 6 months and as she grows older it might impact her health. We work throughout the day and have been trying to calm her down by feeding her a lot of treats where I believe might not help as it's just a temporary reprieve for her during that time and not a long term solution. Just this morning her poop was full of mucus and absolutely dark (believe her colon is stressed now)

I'm looking for some helpful tips here if anybody has been in a similar type of a situation and how to normalize and make her feel comfortable in these situations. The big problem here being we get only 2 days every 6 months to try different things out to make her feel comfortable to this situation which might not be enough so a little lost on how to deal with this.

Hoping to find some solution here.

·
Super Moderator
5,257 Posts
Wow, that has to be scary for her! It would scare me too! You can try finding something very distracting that she really likes such as a Kong filled with something yummy, puzzle toy, chew stick etc. Give her that and then put on some very relaxing music. She might start to associate their arrival with her special treat. My beagle Oliver gets very anxious sometimes when my husband leaves the house so I give him a Kong filled with peanut butter and he is busy and happy with that,

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do you get notice of when the window cleaners are working on your stack? In our building we do. Can you shut any blinds or window coverings when you'll know they'll be there?

Getting an anxiety helping supplement, diffuser, or thundershirt might help too. You could also touch base with your vet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My immediate thought is that a sudden event, with sound, would terrify most any animal, including human. I have had two Beagles and nothing like that ever happened to them. I agree you need to take some action to protect your Beagle like contact your vet and maybe scour the internetto to find authorities who know evrything about the breed. Best wisher from another Beagle lover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts