Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :biglaugh:

After we brought her home, I found several web pages that talked about how hard they were to train and housebreak. I was so relieved to find this place - explained a lot of the behavior patterns and how to reframe thinking about what makes the dog tick. I won't forget that.

We used to have a lab, and I have to say, as much as I loved that lab, I am looking forward to an independent and self-reliant dog.

OK, now the next stop is finding threads on house training. I can tell already we are in for a roller coaster ride there - LOL! :p Have the crate and the dog seems to like sleeping in there, so I feel blessed there.

Still...she piddles more than a guy on a pub crawl, so - wish me luck!!

I'm in love with her already. She is a very special little angel.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW!! As you have discovered already, this is a great place for sharing and learning about beagles. Your sweetie is just that -- I love the dark mask around her face. It will be interesting to see if that coloring changes as she grows. Be sure to take lots of pics (and, of course, share them with us). If asked, we are not shy about telling you our preference on names if you want to run some by us. Glad you found us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome! I like her face too. Her eyes look very sad to me - is that a pretty consistent look for beagles? I look into her eyes, and I think more pug or terrier, and if she's a mix, that's all right with me. Still, I keep saying to her "I hope you aren't as sad as you look!"

Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
If asked, we are not shy about telling you our preference on names if you want to run some by us.
I would love feedback on names. It feels like such a big decision! So far, the contenders are:
Daisy
Tallulah
Freckles
Roosevelt (Rosie), as our cat's name is Truman
Bess
Lillian
Sniffles

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Harmony:
Her eyes look very sad to me - is that a pretty consistent look for beagles? ... Still, I keep saying to her "I hope you aren't as sad as you look!"
If you look at the pics folks have posted, you will see lots of "sad" eyes. Beagles have mastered the "oh, pity me" look with those eyes -- they'll get you every time! They are very, very hard to resist -- just remember to give kisses instead of treats. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I vote for "Rosie" for Roosevelt - I like the idea of Truman and Roosevelt.
Your pup looks all beagle to me but it doesn't matter us on BW -- even a pinch of beagle brings out the best in dogs and all are welcome here. Many of us have rescues and it is impossible to tell what their true make-up is. We even have "honorary" beagles!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: She's a lovely little girl, and don't let those sad eyes deceive you. Beagles are masters at using all the tools at their disposal to get "just one more" treat. :eyes: Rosie and Truman would be a clever match of names.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Welcome to the board. Here are a few name ideas:

Leila
Sophie
Gracie
Lola
Abby

That's all I can think of for now. I can't wait to hear what you decide on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome, welcome to Beagle World :wave:

Your baby girl is darling!! I love the name Tallulah even though it doesn't go with Truman. Her nickname could be Tally. My girl, 8 years old, is Daisy. More prosaic, but it fits her as she is a very feminine, sweet girl. We got her as a stray when she was about 5 and a half. So no experience with puppies.

Lots of people here can give you good advice on pups. This is a very friendly and fun site :thumbup:

I know you'll enjoy you sweetie -- Beagles are loving, sociable, playful, manipulative, child friendly, humorous, naughty, hungry (all the time), cuddly WONDERFUL dogs. :evilhalo:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World. All my dogs have been rescues so I'm not great for puppy advice. Your little girl is adorable. See looks like a Bess to me and that does go with Truman /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Looking forward to many tales and wagging tails.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
What a sweet puppy! I am glad there seems to be a truce with the cat. I have three cats of my own and a couple of strays that come by to eat. We have had Maggie for a year and so far no friendships have developed. All but one has learned to tolerate Maggie but they don't like her. We got Maggie for my daughter and she picked the name prior to getting the dog. Luckily the name is good fit. As far as the housetraining, I was afraid it would never happen but when it did at about five months it was overnight. One day she was still going in the house, the next day she was asking to go outside every time. Since then she has had only one inside accident and I really think she wasn't feeling well.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to you, Harmony!

Yes...some animals have poisinous fangs, some have claws, some have spikes...beagles have sad little eyes that they use very well as a defense mechanism.

I know you haven't asked, buy I have always loved the name, "Penny", for a little girl. Penny Beagle...sounds so cute.

Glad you found BW. :wave:

~Denise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Penny Beagle (kind of a Beatles flavor, eh?)
Lola (whatever Lola wants...Lola gets, especially with those eyes!)
Abby

All great name ideas, and thank you! And thank you for the nice welcome. It's nice to meet you all. :hyper:

Update on the puppy: She has come down with an upper respiratory infection. She was coughing just a bit on Saturday...yesterday it grew worse and she was lethargic all day. I did quite a bit of research on the web, and grew more and more concerned.

So....last night at 10 pm, I took her into the urgent care center. They did chest x-rays and blood tests. Turns out she has pneumonia /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif They gave me some antibiotics. She is eating and drinking...just lethargic and a deep cough. These things happen on holiday weekends...why is that? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Poor thing has a cough that is so sad - she now matches the eyes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

We will bring her back to health I hope soon. The pet store has their own veteranarian center, but I'm not really interested in having them insert their cost saving measures into the puppy's care. I just want her better.

Got home last night at 2 am - had the puppy sleep with me in my bed so I could keep an eye on her. She cuddled up close all night and kept putting her nose in the nape of my neck.

I didn't sleep a wink - but on the bright side....how about that for puppy bonding??!! :p

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Upper respiratory infections are unpleasant, but, thankfully, antibiotics work well on them. My Li'l Girl got one soon after we adopted her, and I remember how sad she looked and sounded. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif It didn't take long for her to get well, though, once the antibiotics kicked in. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Welcome :wave:

I look forward to puppy stories !!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So....last night at 10 pm, I took her into the urgent care center. They did chest x-rays and blood tests. Turns out she has pneumonia.
Poor baby. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif You are such a good beagle mom -- sounds like you made exactly the right decision. Please be sure to give us updates.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome to BW, Harmony! :wave: Your little puppy is so cute--I'm so sorry she is sick. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Hopefully the antibiotics will have her back to her regular beagley self soon! Yes, beagles' eyes are their greatest weapon--they use it to convince you they are starving and will die immediately if they do not have that piece of cheese, or steak, or chicken, etc. :rolleyes: Have you decided on a name yet? You have listed some good options. My babe is Shiloh, named for the series of children's books by the same name. But I also like Daisy--such a bright and happy flower, like our beags!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Harmony, a big welcome to BW. Hope your little girl is well again soon. It sounds as if she has found a wonderful home and we wish you years of fun and love with her.
Angela and the pack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you again for the nice welcome! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Last night, the puppy was very sick. This morning, she lay listless on the couch...shivering and moaning - deep cough, and very tender lymph glands. We've been worried, hoping the anti-biotics would kick in.

Husband, who wasn't ever much of a dog-lover but who has really taken to the puppy, offers to take the dog to the vet this morning because I had to go to work. Vet looked her over...no fever, but needed some fluids. Said to keep doing what we're doing and keep in touch.

Puppy gets home - and proceeds to start romping around outside and basically was a mischievious pup all day. Go figure. She's much better now. Ate lots, drank lots of water...chewed on a couple shoes...played with kids all afternoon running around. Very little cough, but still there.

Whew~glad she's better but my what a turnaround!

OK, now to think about that name. Bess didn't work because it was my Husband's grandmother's name.

Martha - still trying to talk everyone here into this one
Shelby?

Thanks again for listening.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Puppy gets home - and proceeds to start romping around outside and basically was a mischievious pup all day. Go figure.
Now we definitely know you have a beagle!! They are very, very clever -- you will read about lots of our pups who have all sorts of ailments at home. We take them to the vet and they act like there is absolutely nothing wrong with them! :rolleyes:
Glad to hear your baby is doing better -- I like "Shelby" a lot!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I like Shelby also! She is such a cute pup. I am late in welcoming you aboard. But better late than never. Hope you can get the cough cleared up. It is hard to tell a Beagle to take it easy let alone a Beagle Puppy. There are only two speed for them, fast and really fast! :happyhappy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts