Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread earlier about how our 12-week old puppy constantly pees in his crate. He graduated from peeing to his crate to peeing (and sometimes pooping) inside the house! When will it end?!? When my wife and I are away at work during the week, he's place in his crate with an x-pen attached to it. We put a pee pad for his elimination use. My in-laws come by at noon to take the puppy outside to eliminate and play with him while my wife and I work the 9-6. Understandably, our puppy misses the pee pad at times, but he's been accurate 90% of the time. Not mad at all there because we place a matt underneath. Everytime my wife and I are home, we take him outside after every short nap or after he eats. Yesterday, after he ate, I took him outside to pee/poop, and he just peed outside. I took him back in and within 5 minutes, he ran into the bathroom, located a towel on the floor that we're temporarily using as a bath mat (since he pooped on our original one) and peed on it! I took him outside right away to show him that outside is where he pees and he just roamed around. This also happened the day before, but he unfortunately peed on our hardwood floor in a separate side of the house. What do you think is going on here? I'm trying to discover any signals/gestures he makes so I can take him outside before the duty is done, but I never see
any obvious actions from him. Once he stops dancing around, he pees!

Here's our schedule with our puppy:
11p - Everyone sleeps
3a - I wake up to take him outside to eliminate (5-10 minutes)
6a - I wake up to take him outside to eliminate (5-10 minutes)
6-6:45a - I play with him inside the house
7:30a - I take him outside to eliminate (5-10 minutes)
8a - My wife and I leave for work
Noon-1:30p - In-laws drop by to take the puppy to eliminate and play with him.
6:30p-7:30p - I arrive home, feed the puppy and play with him outside and inside the house
7:30p-8:00p - Dinner is being cooked
8p-8:30p - My wife and I eat dinner
8:30-11p - We play with the puppy, watch tv, and go outside for elimination if he takes a nap.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I can't offer too much advice on this one.
Is there a consistentcy as to when he is eliminating in the house?
Do you limit or cut off his water intake at a certain hour?

Rigby is certainly one very cute puppy!!:love:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RosCole - Recently Rigby is most consistent at peeing inside the house after he pees outside. That's why it's rather frustrating. How long do you think he should be outside to pee? The tough thing this entire week that we have had him was that it's been raining outside non-stop. I've heard to not give the puppy water an hour before nap time. But what about during the day? Is one bowl good enough for a young puppy?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Having an 8 month old and a 15 month old beagle I understand your frustration. Ours did the same thing-they'd go outside for a while, then come in and within a few minutes urinate.

Both seemed to get over it about the same point-around 5-6 months old.

I think they get distracted outside (being both beagles and puppies at the same time) and forget to go or don't go completely. I can't remember how many times we said "Mandy, you were just outside!".

We also found that piddle pads helped a lot with training. They're scented to attract them to urinate, and we placed them next to the door they use to go out. We eventually placed them just outside the door-both puppies seemed to get the message.

I also think that some beagles are not as quick to pickup housetraining as other breeds.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
When we are home there is water out all day and the dogs let us know when they want more, they scratch the empty bowl. We keep refilling it as long as we are home. When we go to work they do not have water until we get home. We cut off the water about an hour before bedtime.

As far as being outside, Pop Rivit said it best, sometimes they don't completely go b/c they are so distracted. For a "quick" potty break I usually give them a mini-walk, they sometimes go 2 or even 3 times (pee) in that short period b/c they stop and sniff, start tracking, or whatever else is going on in that busy brain of theirs!

I have gotten to the point that I really watch to see how much they have gone, if its only a little I know there is more to come, so we stay out a bit longer. There are occassions we go out and they do their business completely right away!

It will take some time, but he will get it, as long as you remain consistent. Roscoe learned VERY quickly, so we were spoiled. Cole took forever, and still has an accident once in a while.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You said, once he stops dancing around he pees, it's the dancing around you have to watch for....that's his signal to you that he has to go, or is going to go. My Casie wasn't housebroke when we got him at 13 months...he was kennel trained by a breeder. But his signal to us is running around in circles through the house and then a very loud bark. Once the bark has happened the deed is done...so we have to watch for his circles. We have tried to teach him to ring the bells that are on the back door, which our other two boys learned quickly, but I think he's afraid of the sound...so he won't do it. If he's only 12 weeks old...he might not have the bladder control to last too long, so you might have to take him out more often, and say "outside" or some command that teaches him that this is your sign to him, it's time to go. Potty training is a delight, makes kids look easy. Good luck, he is adorable, and you're doing a great job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts