Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Fizz for the first two weeks has been sleeping overnight in an open crate with paper on the floor, and sleeps all night with no sound. Wet paper in morning and the occasional stool.
Were now thinking of perhaps closing the crate and getting up every couple of hours to let her out, in an aim to increase bladder control. Which do you think is the best method, were going to stay at family's at xmas so an open crate may not be possible! but we don't want to ruin any progress made so far.Thanks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I close the crate at night, Chloe is fine, no accidents inside since she was 4 months (but she is 7.5 months old). If Fizz wakes you up to go out, that may be good.
I personally think the idea in crate training is closing the door...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby use to sleep closed crate at night, now she sleeps with Rebecca and she's fine.

I think, because I got her out of the habit of sleeping closed crate while I was pregnant, sleeping with me instead, that she spite pees in the crate overnight if we lock her in it. I could be wrong though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We would close the crate door when we kept Jersey in her crate. We would get up every couple of hours to take her out and I don't recall too many night time accidents when she was a puppy. Getting up two or three times a night sucked for the first few months, but it was worth it in the long run. Now, her crate is still in the bedroom but we keep the door open. She goes between our bed and the crate at night. I think it's probably better to get Fizz accustomed to sleeping in their with the door closed. That way she'll be used to it for times like Christmas at your family's house when you may need to keep her locked in. Plus, I never saw the point of paper training a dog. They learn it's OK to potty in the house at first, then you have to break that habit to teach them to go out. I always thought it was just easier to train them to go outside from the beginning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts