Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I went to the humane society to just look...well I had thought about bringing a cat home then got scare since we already have one and Im not sure how he would do with another cat. When I had walked through the small dog room I saw a tag for a beagle but no beagle so i assumed it had been adopted. I asked about the beagle and the lady said she was just out for a walk want to meet her? of course I just had to so I met her and played with her outside in their fenced in area for a little bit. She is about 2-3 years old (max will b 2 in march), quite a bit smaller then our little guy max, max is about 28 pounds while shes only about 18-20 max and half the size of him heightwise.

Well my bf has agreed to meet her and if he likes her we will be bringing max to meet her PROBABLY....but I need advice on wether or not to have 2 beagles. I have tried to weigh the cons and pros... and Im also factoring the fact the max has terrible seperation anxiety. I kid you not I swears he thinks we are abandoning him whenever we leave the house and it's only getting worse (even to the point where after no accidents for monthes he had an accident the other day) We think that if we were to get another dog it will help max feel more secure when we leave, since he stayed with a friend for 2 weeks a while back and was fine during the day as long as her dog was with him when she went to work.

So I basically need advice and opinions from everyone...hopefully some experiences from everyone that has two beagles. Im a student and I work parttime, and my boyfriend works but our schedules are set up pretty opposite to eachother so the beags usually only home for max 4 hours alone (im a server and have pretty short shifts), max already goes every with us and if we were to leave and couldnt bring him he goes to a local kennel (which ive already spoke 2 and if we had 2 they would be boarded together in the same kennel).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always tell people that two beagles are better than one. They keep eachother company while your gone and if they get along when they meet, why not?

When we first got Booger it was nice and quiet and we taught him so much
About 8 months later we got Yodah and they loved eachother the moment they met. I almost forgot what it was like to have just 1 beagle. We now have 4 but I think 4 is just like having 2
I can sit and watch them play. It is awesome!

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes go for it, we are still deciding about another one for Meg, but we are waiting to find the right one !. In the UK it is very hard to find a rescue beagle as they are not that popular here, so we are on the list for an 'older boy' to join our mental bouncey hyper meg who is 2. we need more of a plodder, a dog who is a bit laid back who will fit in with us. Meg gets 100 % devotion from us, she is hardly left alone, perhaps 2 to 3 hours max a fortnight, and goes out for 3 hours a day, split into 3 walks so doesnt want for anything. However, we want a companion for her and it has to be the right one. I wish we lived over there as im sure there would be loads of choice. We have been waiting for about 1 year and still havent found one ! 2 beags have to be twice the fun !

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ditto to what others have said - if YOU feel ready for another dog. The extra time committment, the extra cost for feeding, vet bills, general upkeep, the extra training etc.

If the answer to those questions is yes - then let Max meet her and see how they get along. I always tell potential beagle owners that they don't make great only dogs and prefer the company of another animal. There is no way our beag could be an only dog!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else! IF you can afford the cost, and have the time, 2 beagles are really easier than one! They keep each other company - and it usually eliminates the separation anxiety aspect of only having one. Of course, I have 9 beagles, so what do I know! It's been 8 years since I've only had one - and basically went from one to three within a period of about a week. I only have one beagle who would be better off as an only child - and that is Miss Lottie, who had been a kennel dog until I got her. She and Chloe tolerate each other, but she really doesn't like to be with the rest of the pack, so she and Chloe spend much of their time upstairs when I'm gone. When I'm home, everyone else is down here in the family room with me. Lottie WILL go outside with everyone, but she won't come down here unless the others are out, but she is a special case. Beagles are pack animals - and they love being with other short people with 4 legs and floppy ears
. Don't these guys LOOK like they hate each other???
Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oh my gosh those pictures are ADORABLE!!!!

We have two beagles as well, but we got them at the same time. They were picked up by animal control together and we decided not to separate them. It really is wonderful having two. They definitely keep each other company, play with each other, annoy each other.
I could sit and watch them play all day!! And when my hubby and I walk we each get one so that's nice.
As far as financially, if they're both healthy the overall cost isn't too bad. However, I would say the biggest thing is to make sure that if they were to both have issues you could handle it. Daisy's cost us quite a bit with some odd health issues but Rocky (fortunately) hasn't had anything but his routine shots, heartworm prevention, and flea/tick stuff. The few times we've boarded our two, they were in the same kennel and did just fine.

All that said... having two is GREAT!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow, Beaglesmom! I can't believe you have 9. You're either a saint or crazy!

To the original post, two would be nice because beagles love to play with other beagles. And it would be good for them to play and get their energy out. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Brien - I think I'm CRAZY. Don't see sainthood in my future. There are times I think I would like to re-home some of them - but....who would I re-home? Princess, who is 8 years old and was my first beagle? Senior beagles are not easy to place. Chloe, who is 7 and is my
? JoJo, my special girl that I went from WA to NY to pick up from a friend?? Tanna? My super stud, IS going to be leaving to join a breeder friend in Utah. He was in field trials before I got him and both of his parents are IFC - he was purchased as a mate for JoJo, who also has an awesome pedigree, but I can't breed her any more after the problems with her last litters. Lottie, my beautiful little rescue, from Show Champion parents, who had always been a kennel dog and this is already her THIRD home - and the ONLY one where she's been a pet? Joe and Jack, who are JoJo and Tanna's boys from their first litter, Joe is such a mama's boy, he'd be broken hearted to leave. Bella, who is Lottie and Tanna's beautiful little girl - who, I hope can carry on her mom's line. Lottie was spayed after her c-section when her pups were born. Bella, is also a mama's girl, and is very special to me. And then there is Jo-Tan's Miracle Angel - the only survivor from JoJo's litter born April 22, 2007. She now will be left to carry on her beautiful mother's legacy. Angel was very tiny - and had to be bottle fed and supplemented ... how could I possibly re-home this little Angel? These dogs are all my children - I never planned to have this many - but since I DO, unless I become unable to care for them, I guess they're here to stay. I DO NOT plan to keep any more - tho I am looking for a small male with a good pedigree for Angel and Bella.
Glenda

·
Registered
366 Posts
I so envy all of you who have more than one beagle, or even more than one dog. If the opportunity ever presents itself for me to get another beagle, I will jump on it.

*sigh*
I wish Glenda was my neighbor so I could live vicariously thru her.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I wish you were my neighbor too, Sonja! It would be nice to have someone near who appreciates beagle music! And Winston would have LOTS of playmates!
Winston reminds me of Angel when she was a pup!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hmmm..never considered it 'music' before, but this morning I thought there was a baby seal in the bedroom.

She does look like Winston!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We had a young puppy alone for 5 months, got a second one who was very close in age, and they are pretty much inseparable now. They have complementing personalities (the dominant one calmed down and became better socialized, the submissive one came out of his shell), and they keep one another active at night and company during the day when my boyfriend and I are at work. I think it varies for everyone, but here's another vote in favor of two beagles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd say go for the second... I have never only had one beagle, and it works well for me!

Judi

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi and Snoopy came together aged 6 and adore one another. Once you have had two i doubt you'll go back to single dogs.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker has been with another dog for the first 6 years of his life. When we lost Jasmine in January it was the first time he was ever alone. His seperation anxiety has gotten much worse with out another dog around. We would get another beagle in a heartbeat if we weren't trying to sell our house for my job transfer. As soon as we get settled in our new place we will get a 2nd. We might even start fostering too. The city where we think we will move to has a 3 dog max but will allow you to have more if they are fosters from a registerd rescue or shelter.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Murphy was a lone pup for the first 6 years of his life. He had SA when we got him, luckily he grew out of it. We brought Summer home and the got along. They kept each other company. Towards the end of Murphy's life they became partners in crime. It was amazing the trouble they would get into together (look up BATTLESHIP MURPHY in the Search). Murphy passed away, and Summer was alone for a month. She seemed OK with it. Then we got Kali. When they are together you can see that Summer is happy, so is Kali. They have become pack mates. They play together (and fight on occasion too) and keep each other occupied during the day. There is nothing sweeter than when Summer lays down in the back seat of the car and Kali lays next to her, the places her head across Summer's neck for comfort.

I do agree. Two are better than one.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm firmly in the two is better than one camp. Our labs came a year apart (though Roscoe had my stepdaughter's dog for company before Cassie when she briefly lived with us). The labs were like husband and wife and though Cassie was very attached to Roscoe in the younger years, things shifted as they got older and Roscoe became more dependent on Cassie when his eye site failed. They loved each other and I still think she mourns him because of the way her head pops up when she hears his name.

Duke and Violet are two peas in a pod! Though I would put them more in the brother/sister partnership, they have a blast together. And because of Violet, Duke has really grown up and settled down so much. They are still beagles, and can still get inot major trouble together, but less than Duke was getting into on his own when he was bored. They play a lot and they watch out for each other.

I say if they get along, go for it! Plus, that way, there's always a beagle around to pet and love on for everybody!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts