Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after sleeping through the night 2 or 3 nights in a row, Luigi woke us up 3 times last night to pee, and cried in his cage today for over an hour. We were trying to put him to sleep, and it's the same time he usually snoozes, ad he'd been worked out at a park prior to this, so he should've been ready. We moved him into the bathroom as an emergency measure for the night (and he's quiet) could he be viewing the crate as a prison all of a sudden? This needs to stop...we can't wait 19 months (he's 5 months, add 19 months and you get 24 months, or 2 years, the consensus age as to when beagles are adults) We were making progress, too... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/exactly.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I'd be careful when you use the pharse "put to sleep."

Everyone has an "off" day, just continue with your loving and consistent training. Oh, also, sometimes running your beags to tire them out has the opposite affect and actually revs them up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing we're wondering is if his crate is too small. He has grown a bit, and it is a pretty small crate.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He should have a crate where he can stand and have 2-3 inches from his skull to the top of the crate, and turn around in. Also, make sure he can lay in it comfortably.... I think that at 5 months you can get him a crate that will suite him when he reaches his adult size (approximate!).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyHe should have a crate where he can stand and have 2-3 inches from his skull to the top of the crate, and turn around in. Also, make sure he can lay in it comfortably.... I think that at 5 months you can get him a crate that will suite him when he reaches his adult size (approximate!).
well, it does fit those requirements, but there have been quite a few times when we've moved him from the crate to the bathroom, and he's quieted down a bit. Last night, he was quiet all night in the bathroom. He did poop twice, but it was on one of those pee pads, so...

Plus, the crate is too small to put his food in, which is a recommendation I hear quite a bit.

Her mother in law has a cage that's larger which she's not using, so we may borrow that and see if it works.

·
Registered
250 Posts
it may feel like your taking steps bacs but as beagle babe said, some just have off days. diesel has many off days but as long as he is still making improvements im ok with it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another night he didn't sleep all the wqy through. He has done it, i swear. Yet last night he woke us up 3 times. If this doesn't stop soon, he may have to go live elsewhere, as much as we love him...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You can't give up on him just because he wakes up at night... he is a puppy. I'm sure you wouldn't give up your baby when they wake up at night. It's exactly the same thing.

It might take a little more time, but you'll get there.

Keep on loving him, crating him when you can't watch him, take him out just before you go to bed, and first thing when you wake up. If he needs to go in the middle of the night, there's nothing you can do about it, just take him out for a few minutes, and back to sleep. It won't take much longer, I'm sure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He's still just a baby! And having a puppy is much like having a baby in some respects. Jersey didn't sleep all the way through the night, every night until she was about 6 months old or so. She'd have nights when she didn't need to go out at all and some nights she'd be up twice. We got up, took her out and right back to bed we all went. Not fun, but hey, that's the price of having a puppy. Jersey still has to go during the night sometimes. Again, not so fun, but we do it. And we're in an apartment so going out means getting dressed and going downstairs (which are very brightly lit!).

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sadie and Pooh Bear used to get up at least twice a night to go out and pee pee. I just resigned myself to letting them out rather than have an accident in the house. Make sure he really needs to go pee and not just want to go out and play. Sadie did that some. She would love to get up in the night and run and sniff all around the yard in the middle of the night. If I knew she had been out in a reasonable amount of time, and suspected they just wanted to go out and play. I would say "go back to bed". I would get them back in bed.

5 months is still very young. You could try picking up his water bowl after he has some with his supper.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy still doesn't sleep all the way through the night every single night. She'll be 6 months old on May 10th. Some nights she's fine and others (like last night) she has to go out at least once sometimes twice. Give Luigi time, it will get better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We still have trouble with Scout waking up at night and she is almost a year. For the first few months I thought we would have to give her up because of all the work. I was waking up every 2 hours at night to take her out, she wanted to get up at 5am on the weekends, some nights she wouldn't sleep at all and cry all night. We moved her from the living room to our bedroom and its helped with her sleeping. She still gets up, at most, once a night and stays outside for about and hour or 2. Not sure why. And then we have nights like last night where she went out when we went to bed and slept all night.

Its hard the first few months, but I am glad we got through it. We now have a better dog. And like everyone else says, he is still a puppy and thats just what happens. I hated that answer too, when Scout was only a couple of months old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts