Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used to feed Dexter twice a day (morning and evening)..however for the last couple of months, he himself has stopped eating his evening meal, so we decided to move to only once day (no food changes or anything)..he seems to be fine with it..(he is about 1 and half year old)

Someone told me that its better for dogs to eat twice a day so they don't eat too much at one time...but Dexter seems to have decided himself that he wants to eat once a day...We took him to the vet (he is perfectly healthy the vet said) and he said if thats what he wants..then so be it...

He does gobble his food down in the morning like he is never going to see it again and also gets some treats through out the day (kong ball, training etc)..is that normal?

Do you guys feed your dogs once or twice a day?

Toke

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feed Chloe twice a day, but she is still a puppy, 8 months old.
I guess that I would play it by ear.... if she continues to eat twice a day, it's fine by me.
My dog back home eats once a day, won't eat more than that, except for yummy treats of course.

Dexter sounds just fine, I wouldn't worry. If he is not losing weight, and his energy levels are the same, there is no reason to feed him more than he needs to. The kong and treats during the day are great for the supplements!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours would eat tens times a day, but we have them down to twice. The first one is at 8am and our two make sure we are up!!!!! They get treats throughout the day but at 4.30 in the afternoon they get their last real meal of the day. The diea being they dont sleep on full tummies.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Taurus Mom:
Twice a day, though they would love to eat ALL day!! :exactly:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mizu gets 1 1/2 cup in the morning and 1 cup for dinner. I only give him 2 treats a day as well. He gets an extra one if he is super good...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Back when we just had Booker, we tried with feeding her twice a day, morning and evening, but even though her love of food is clearly huge (being a good beagle and all), I can say that her love of her morning sleep is actually GREATER, and she was indifferent at most to the morning meal and sometimes even refused to get up to eat it. As a result, we moved back to just the one meal in the evening, which she adores and always greats with a Snoopy-like happy dance!

When we first got Popcorn (so she was around 7 months to a year), she started throwing up a lot in the morning and so it was suggested we feed her half her food in the morning and only half at night - so she could digest it better. We did that for a few months and then she settled back into the once a day routine that the other two have had ever since our failed morning feeding experiment with Booker many years ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snoopy still has 2 meals a day (he's 8 months old) plus his treats..and big raw marrow bones to keep him amused outside. He's super-active so at the moment he gets away with the amount he eats....as he gets older I'll cut it back if his waist starts to expand too much :hi:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beaglina has 2 meals a day plus a few treats on walks when we're practising recall, and like the others she would happily eat three times a day / all day... piglet

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock gets a half cup in the morning, a half cup when either my boyfriend or I get off work (whoever gets home first), and then a quarter cup about an hour before bedtime (to make sure he has time to potty if he needs to after eating). It seems to work out pretty well. He also gets a half biscuit when he goes into his kennel for the day or for the night, as well as at least once a day when I run him through his tricks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all..I do feel like Dex and I are in minority...but I guess like its been said...as long as Dexter is ok with it...I guess i can relax..

Cheers...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel gets feed once a day, a cup and a half or so each morning. I let him out in the back yard, he does a quick patrol while I put his food in the bowl. He sometimes pretends to no be interested but within five minutes, he's having his meal. There is never any kibble left when I return from work! I do share snacks with him in the evening!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Really it just depends on your dog. Some dogs are better with just once daily. I like to keep some dry food out all the time for mine though, with 4 of them its hard to say exactly who eats more in the mornings or evenings. They are outside during the day so they get a good amount in the morning, and none of them eat as much in the evening generally. SO--- dont feel like a minority, your beagle is just that-- YOUR Beagle, lol... whatever works for him and you, is what will work! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi and the crew

·
Registered
187 Posts
Twice, and with treats throughout the day too. But they would gladly accept 3rds... or 4ths. :hi:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts