Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casie is two now, we got him at 13 months. He was a breeder's dog who had him in an outside paved run for pottying. Now we understand why all last winter he poo'd on the sidewalk....But he's two now, and we are going backwards. He has started to poo in the house again...but is far more sneaky, shows no need signs to go out. He does it in the kitchen near the back door, and then barks to show off or to tell us he did it and come pick it up. GRRRRRR (note not the usual beagle growl...that's me) We've tried kenneling him, we've tried letting him out 15 times a day, but he will come in and go 5minutes later. At night, he will wait till we are asleep and then make a very small pile by the bedroom door,....thankfully neither of us has stepped in this one, yet.

any ideas? I am not liking this behavior at all. And thinking of the harsh treatment my father used to give our pups when he was training them, mainly rubbing their noses in it, and swatting with a rolled up newspaper to scare them...not what I want to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I agree about avoiding the old-style harsh scolding. Dogs live in the moment, so if you didn't catch him pooping, then he would just think you were being nuts for no reason. You can take him and the poop outside and tell him poopy outside. If he does go outside, either poo or pee, praise & more praise.

Two other possibilities, is something new in your house upsetting his routine? And have you had him tested for worms or another problem that might make him have to go?

Be sure to clean the poo spots with a dog odor remover just as you would with pee.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had a good day yesterday....until dh comes home, and then all training goes out the door. Do you see what I am saying? DH doesn't get involved in the training, he just picks it up and says very loudly OH CASIE We had a mess this AM; but I had fallen back to sleep, and I am sure that is what he was scratching my arm about. He's a good boy, he's smart, he gets what he is supposed to do, just not where.

I know for sure that he will NOT go poo if Cobi is out there with him, he is too distracted. So, he goes out for 15 mins by himself to poo and run, and bark, and then he can come in...now how that is going to work when it's 10 below, I don't know. But we'll keep working on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts