Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the post of the young girl who just got her first beagle puppy, boy do I remember those days, I was very lucky with Dodger and still am… The reason for my post is different, now I know the stories of run away beagles, but I live in Wyoming and we hike and have nothing but wide open spaces here, and I live in an apartment complex that has no back yard or fences, so Dodger was whistle trained at 10 weeks when I got him it is relatively easy thing to do, and beagles are smart about it, plus hunters use e-collars all the time on them also, so Dodger runs free all the time he is a beagle through and through he gets to chase his rabbits and go for walks off leash all the time, but not in town or around roads during the day because of traffic even though I have an e-collar ( you may know them as shock collars) but rarely use the shock unless he is in danger of getting hurt, anyways my issue guys is constancy. see I let Dodger off leash every morning at 3am when we go walking when everyone’s sleeping I am an insomniac and he knows it….lol well he never walks in the road and he’s a momas boys stays right with me, and during the day we have weed walks were, he an I trek through open fields and he has his e-collar on and he can run free and chase the wind or what ever, but he still has to walk on lead after and he has been fully trained there, his sits on road corners, looks at me for every command and never stops for other dogs or people he simple keeps walking, he has manners, he has been like this now for the last 9 months almost a year and it’s been rough to get him there he was a great puller, but not anymore, but NOW the issue when we have our on leash walks during the day he is pulling back you know like when your pup is sick, refusing to walk, fighting the leash, I thought at first that’s what it was, so I checked him out looked him over, then he did it again on leash pulled back refusing to walk, I want to go home, and you guys know how we give in sometimes and pick our battles so I’d take him home, but now it’s an everyday occurrence, we start our walks get about 500 yards then he pulls back and sits down refusing to walk stubborn saying “ I don’t want to walk NO” he’s saying this in defiance, but I pull him forward anyways and we walk, but I feel bad, and I don’t know what to do? He’s never done this before, again his personality is changing I think he wants HIS way, I know I have spoiled him, but he’s MY baby( I can just see some of you rolling your eyes right about now…lol) anyways I have hours to spend with Dodger and have, but is he testing me? wanting to walk off leash ALL the time? I know how to hold his head and look into those eyes and tell him what I think, but he’s not a pup anymore ( he’s 2) he’s still young, but he’s been so good about switching from off leash to back on and now he seems like he hates the leash or maybe it’s something else I don’t know, so here I am friends. You guys have helped me before, maybe you help me again. Cassie you helped me with limiting him in the house and ignoring his negative behaviors like the whining, and someone told about the vinegar and squirt bottles etc, so help me please with this crappy behavior Dodger is displaying that I have no idea where it’s coming from and what to do how to get him to Change it or is it me. Thanks guys😊☺ Sorry it’s sooo long. God bless ❤👀

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi... do you use a leash attached to a regular collar? Perhaps a halter might work better since he doesn't feel the pull at the neck. Theres also a halter called the "Perfect Pace" halter which has a light weight cord that goes across the nose muzzle. ..this halter has to be purchased on line..this is safer than similar pet store types.
As for my dog I had to give up on walking Cassie since I had a bad fall in my kitchen and fractured my shoulder..i simply cant manage the pulling anymore.
Also my dog wears a regular leash at all times in the house..she just drags it around. She thinks she's under control. Let us know if any of this works..
Hi... do you use a leash attached to a regular collar? Perhaps a halter might work better since he doesn't feel the pull at the neck. Theres also a halter called the "Perfect Pace" halter which has a light weight cord that goes across the nose muzzle. ..this halter has to be purchased on line..this is safer than similar pet store types.
As for my dog I had to give up on walking Cassie since I had a bad fall in my kitchen and fractured my shoulder..i simply cant manage the pulling anymore.
Also my dog wears a regular leash at all times in the house..she just drags it around. She thinks she's under control. Let us know if any of this works..
Thanks your advice
No I never heard of of a perfect pace, but it sounds and looks a lot like a no pull harness yes I used one of those on Dodger as well when he pulled really hard, but he doesn’t pull that much anymore, as for his harness he hates but you know you might be on to something it’s very good idea to use his harness again, to let him know I am the pack leader you know what I am talking about? I don’t know if anyone else has raised there beagle or for that matter any dog with the pack leader method, but it works,I think indeed to take his regular collar off for awhile and go back a few steps and use his harness for awhile, Thanks Cassie, I can always count on you girl. Sometimes I never think… it’s that sneaky Dodger thinking I am the pack leader, he’s not going to tell me he doesn’t want to go on his walks, but it’s sad too Cassie he normally loves his walks, he used to wag that tail, you know rump and all wanting to gos out, but now he wants HIS way and stay on my nice warm chair and getting fat. The vet wants him to lose 10 lbs and he’s food limited too, and he is soo hungry he eats garbage when we walk too. Bad dog ☹

1 - 2 of 2 Posts