Our Beagle World Forums banner

OMG he drove us nuts last night!!!!!!!!!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Pop_Rivit 
#1 ·
Or should I say this morning???????

I first heard him at 4, when hubby came back to bed...and as I got up I was told Rocky had already been out. So I go down anyway to try and quiet him...to no avail! I finally took him out again, he did piddle...wth?? He had no water from 8pm on!! And I put him back in his crate. And he yelped, and he barked, and he whined, and he did it all again and constantly. Hubby got up again at 4:30 to try to quiet him again and ended up bringing Rocky into the bathroom with him while he showered (he of course whined the whole time dh was in the shower...) I fell asleep at some point and Rocky started up again at 6...like clockwork...so I took him out and fed him, but he wouldn't eat....off to the bathroom again. The morning went fine once we were all up.

Argh!!
Hubby says Rocky must be in a mood...

It's a wonder I have not fallen asleep on my feet...and poor hubby...a solid 3 hours!

He's been doing so well...I know it was only the 6th night...Just venting! Just like babies...he'll grow out of it!

See less See more
#2 ·
dont have kids, but we find it MOST helpful to keep the dogs awake the last 6 hours we are awake.
ie, we usually go to bed at 11pm so the dogs are not allowed to nap from 5pm on.
we buggem', turn up the stereo, give them bones to chew on, etc.
then when they go to bed, they sleep.

in any case, i would rather be up with my new beagle than with a kid puking LOL!!
C.

#4 ·
I don't think it matters if you let them nap in the evening, but I would say that for about an hour before you go to bed the pup should be brought out, taken outside, played with, snuggled with, etc... That way the pup is tired and ready to sleep for awhile. Unfortunately you may have to be willing to spend a 1/2 hour or so in the middle of the night doing the same thing until it gets older. They will start sleeping through the night before you know it.

#5 ·
We went through a good solid 2 weeks of JoJo whining and howling at night when we first adopted her.
We were determined to crate train her in the evenings. Only, her crate was downstairs. I wasn't keen on bringing her into the bedroom b/c I figured she'd do the same thing then....
She didn't. We put a crate by the bed and that was that. She LOVES her room.

But those first 2 weeks we barely got any sleep. Taking shifts downstairs to keep her company while she got used to the crate.
If only we'd figured it out sooner!

P.S. We have 2 kids...my youngest - I didn't get any sleep with him until he was over a year. I think JoJo's easier.

#6 ·
It's been a long time since we had a little puppy. The last time we did, we put her in a crate which we placed in our attached garage. Then, I got up 3 or 4 times a night and took her out to potty. It may sound harsh, but she was housebroken in no time at all, and we never heard the whining, etc.

That lasted a very short time, and she's been in the house with us ever since.....14-1/2 years.

#7 ·
We trained Murphy a little differently.

We brought him home at 8 weeks and, the first 3 nights tried crate training. He woke us up several times each night, we'd let him out, then get him back to sleep.

On night 4 I decided to try something different. We kept him awake for 4 hours or so before bedtime, then he slept in our bed.

The first couple weeks he'd wake us up once during the night to go outside. After that he starting sleeping all night. It's very rare for him to wake during the night and he loves to cuddle up with one of us.

I always told myself I'd never allow a pet in bed, but for us it works well. It may be just dumb luck, but we've never had an accident in bed and we all sleep much better. Now I can't imagine not having Murphy sleep with us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.