Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben weighs 38 lbs! We weighed him yesterday. Yikes!

I think our boy needs to go on a bit of a diet. He is fed a raw diet, but admittedly, he also gets alot of scraps and treats. He also takes his job of dishwasher pre-rinser very seriously.

He gets lots of exercise - on average ge gets 45 minutes or more of walking per day (often more) and lots of indoor and outdoor play time.

He doesn't have that barrel with legs look (yet) but I think he could stand to loose a few.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No worries, Coco weights just about the same
I am getting him to jog with me now so that we can both lose weight

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Weight alone does not mean much. Beagles come in all lengths and sturdiness. You should be able to feel but not see their ribs. That said, I am convinced that while too much weight is not in a beagle's best interest, YoYo changes in their weight by repeated periods of famine dieting followed by well intended and loving indulgences are just as detrimental. The Bagel came to live with me from a kill shelter and I can’t speak for the first three to five years of his life but his weight has not varied over half a pound in the 11+ years he’s been with me and he is a most healthy senior. Please consider the long term health and happiness of your beagle and approach any diet as a long term commitment to constant stable size.

The Bagel would make sure I noted that does not mean neglecting treats, just know that if he is going to get a double cheeseburger, hold the bun, from McDonalds, he get’s half his daily ration of kibble that day. If he gets 4 ounces of prime rib from Outback Friday evening, he gets a more meager Saturday morning breakfast. If he has spent all day chasing after ground squirrels in the desert he may get an extra portion. The point is a beagle will eat what is available, it is our job to make sure the proper amount, not too much, not too little is available.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bob is right. We try to adjust food based on treats and other outside meals he may be getting. Tucker is 45lbs and the vet is ok with his weight. He also happens to be a tall beagle and very solid.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben is pretty tall and he is solid, not flabby at all. I felta round this morning and I can feel his rib (I definitely cannot see them though) and he still has definition to his hips.

So maybe he is okay.

I try to adjust his meals according to the treats and scraps that he gets. However, my BF has been known to indulge the pooch during the day with chicken fingers, burgers, meatballs, etc. and of course I have no idea he is done this while I am home alone in the evenings. I have asked BF to cut back on the treats and let me know when he gives extras.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It's funny I have read a few times on here people saying their dogs are overweight at about the weight Bazel is which would be about 38 pounds too, but I don't consider him overweight. You can fell his ribs and he is very active. I do notice though some of the beagles on here seem shorter than our Bazel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Willie also weighs in around the 40 pound mark, admittedly could stand to lose some weight. But I think that the mistake that most of us make is comparing our dogs to the AKC standards. If that were true, all of us having AKC show dogs, well then most of them would drop dead any second now, being that they are probably close to double the size they should be. Just like us humans, just cause you are 6 ft tall doesnt mean you need be a precise weight(even though some will say otherwise).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts