Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, 8 year old Betty and 12 year old Barney have come to a point in recent months where I have to soak their food in hot water, or else they'll puke it up immediately after eating. Ugh.

They have always been inhalers who don't chew. The food hasn't been changed, nor have the serving sizes or feeding times. Anyone else deal with this?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I love your signature. lol

I often add warm water to the food of my dogs. It all started when Sam as a puppy had a sick tummy when it came to food. The vet suggested that I do this to help Sam with digestion. Now it has become a treat for my dogs to get water on their food. They really think they are getting something special when I do it. Obviously we don't do it everyday, but probably 3 times a week or so. I don't mind doing it at all, it doesn't cost me any extra money, they think it is a treat, it slows down their eating and it helps them digest it more easily. I think it is a win/win situation.

In your case, if it helps them, I'd keep it up. It is a very minor thing to help keep our dogs healthy and happy. Who knows you could be doing this for many years to come.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My Chloe is around 11 years old and has six teeth remaining on her upper jaw. I don't soak her food, but I do put some water on it to help it go down. She gobbles it up with no problem!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Misty will be 14 in December. She got to the point where even soaked dry food seemed hard for her to chew. So, now she gets canned food. I brush her teeth, and she appears to have at least most of them, but chewing hard stuff is difficult for her.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We soak the food for all four of ours with warm water - I can't remember why we started but now Booker won't eat it any other way... she is 11 1/2. Buzz wasn't sure about the concept when he first arrived but seems to like it now. And although they would all prefer that we soaked it in a tasty jus or reduction, we just use water!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have always added warm water to their kibble no matter what the ages but my guess is that your dogs could have some sore gums/missing teeth and also more senior-like digestive systems. Even my kitty when he got older couldn't eat the kibble at all and had to have canned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.