Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 year old rescue Beagle who is an absolute delight except for the fact that he has severe separation anxiety. So after a year of training, xanax, and prozac, it was recommended that we try a 2nd beagle since beagles like their pack.

Well......3 days in and our 7 year old Beagle wants absolutely nothing to do with the brand new female 3 month old beagle. The elder beagle just runs away whenever the new beagle comes anywhere near him.

We have been careful with introductions and the only time that the 2 are really together is in the yard. Baby beagle is her own puppy proof gated area away from the elder beagle so he doesn't feel "threatened".

However.....we only have one yard and those beagle noses love the smells and everyone has to go potty......

We are at our whit's end on this one. Any advice? HELP!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
My sympathy. Maybe the other members will have suggestions. Limiting the 3 YOs area is a good start then he will have space to himself.
techie

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
I have added many dogs into my pack over the years, it generally has some bumps, some fights, some moping etc. Separation anxiety is based on the dog's anxiety when YOU leave so the added dog will keep him company but some anxiety can still exist. Try walking them together, I find that lots of bonding happens on walks. Be sure to give the older dog attention just on his own. They usually work things out. Remember, the new dog is getting used to a new home, rules and surroundings while the older dog has upset to his routine.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
It is kind of unfortunate that someone recommended getting a second beagle for your beagle. A second dog should always be for you, never for another dog. Some older dogs are not especially fond of puppies. Puppies can be annoying to them.

That said, three days is not very much time. It is good you are keeping them separate. Is the 'gated puppy area' a place where they can still see and smell each other? It is good for them to become acclimated in that way, without physical contact. When in the yard, allow the adult to roam the yard. Keep the puppy on a leash. If you want the puppy to have some off-leash time, put your boy back in the house. He will probably like her better, when she isn't a puppy any more. Take things slowly. Give them time. Don't force it. They should warm up to each other.

Do not feed his insecurity. Don't tell him, "It is OK", or encourage him to greet the puppy. Ignore any fearful behavior. Work on obedience with your boy and your pup - separately. It will increase your bond and help to build confidence.

21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is kind of unfortunate that someone recommended getting a second beagle for your beagle. A second dog should always be for you, never for another dog. Some older dogs are not especially fond of puppies. Puppies can be annoying to them.

That said, three days is not very much time. It is good you are keeping them separate. Is the 'gated puppy area' a place where they can still see and smell each other? It is good for them to become acclimated in that way, without physical contact. When in the yard, allow the adult to roam the yard. Keep the puppy on a leash. If you want the puppy to have some off-leash time, put your boy back in the house. He will probably like her better, when she isn't a puppy any more. Take things slowly. Give them time. Don't force it. They should warm up to each other.

Do not feed his insecurity. Don't tell him, "It is OK", or encourage him to greet the puppy. Ignore any fearful behavior. Work on obedience with your boy and your pup - separately. It will increase your bond and help to build confidence.
I should note that we didn't just get a 2nd beagle for the older one. We went through a lot of time and thought to decide if a 2nd beagle was good for us first, then was it good for the older one. Those who recommended were our vet (who owns a few beagles) and a nationally known beagle trainer.Thankfully last night they began to play with one another so we are very relieved!

·
Super Moderator
5,088 Posts
I knew they would come around. I always feel less bad about leaving my kids for a few hours knowing that they have their little pack and aren't just sitting home alone.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I should note that we didn't just get a 2nd beagle for the older one. We went through a lot of time and thought to decide if a 2nd beagle was good for us first, then was it good for the older one. Those who recommended were our vet (who owns a few beagles) and a nationally known beagle trainer.Thankfully last night they began to play with one another so we are very relieved!
That is such great news. Awesome! Bet they are going to be best friends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We just adopted another beagle to help our suddenly solo beagle get out of her funk. We lost our Irish Terrier suddenly a few weeks ago. It took some time and effort but they are friends now They play a bit. It has only been 3 weeks for us. Sadie and Lucy enjoy each others company.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
We just adopted another beagle to help our suddenly solo beagle get out of her funk. We lost our Irish Terrier suddenly a few weeks ago. It took some time and effort but they are friends now They play a bit. It has only been 3 weeks for us. Sadie and Lucy enjoy each others company.
That's great. It is sad, when they lose a friend. Really glad it is working out between your girls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts