Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted Tuff. She is 4 years old and over weight, but is slimming down quickly with lots of execize. She goes to the door when she wants to go out, but prefers to be walked around the park when she wants to do her business. The problem we are having is she may be too smart for her own good. When we are getting ready to leave the house or getting ready for bed she can sense it and refuses to poo/pee in yard. We will wait for 15-20 mins, ignore barking and crying, but she just won't do it. I thought at first we left her alone for too long so she would use the carpet, but my wife has had times where she has left the house for 10 minutes and come back to a poopy floor. I have never experienced a lonely poop from a dog before. Any help will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
As you've learned she can make you stay outside longer if she farts around before going potty. She's learned she will only be able to stay outside longer if she holds it.

I would try three things. If you haven't already done so, pick a very specific potty area, maybe a few feet squared. And don't move. Make that the designated potty location and keep bringing her back to it if she wants to move on. After she does goes potty let he stay outside a little longer and sniff around. That way she won't associate potty means going right back inside. Finally, give her LOTS of positive praise when she does go potty. This can be getting down to her level and playing with her or treats.

We've never really had that problem with Bodie. During the day and early evening if he wants to go out he'll sit by the rear slider and we'll let him go out on his own. However, when it gets later in the evening and we don't want him outside farting around or beagling we put him on a leash and take him to a designated potty spot. We tell him to get busy and within a minute he'll go. I think having that structure in place really helps. He knows when we take him out it's time to get busy and rarely fights it. Even when he's beagling, he'll stand there and pee while baying at full volume. Really amazing how they can do that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie

I would try three things. If you haven't already done so, pick a very specific potty area, maybe a few feet squared. And don't move. Make that the designated potty location and keep bringing her back to it if she wants to move on. After she does goes potty let he stay outside a little longer and sniff around. That way she won't associate potty means going right back inside. Finally, give her LOTS of positive praise when she does go potty. This can be getting down to her level and playing with her or treats.

We've never really had that problem with Bodie. During the day and early evening if he wants to go out he'll sit by the rear slider and we'll let him go out on his own. We tell him to get busy and within a minute he'll go. I think having that structure in place really helps. He knows when we take him out it's time to get busy and rarely fights it.
i did this with sophie per the advice from someone on this board(probably you) and these days, we go outside, i take her to the spot and tell her to do her thing, and she does. she is helping the new dog learn this trick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts