Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Kioko has a UTI, so there isn't really frustration yet over any of this stuff. I just don't want to mess up and do something that will make a bad habit later.

Okay, she poops outside perfectly. I've learned what it looks like when she has to go, and she's very reliable with the pooping.

Obviously, the peeing is an issue because of her UTI, but last night for the first time, she peed the crate overnight. Poor thing's blanket was soaked...and it smelled FOUL. Definitely sick pee. I changed her bedding, had her drink, took her out...she won't pee outside no matter how long I wait.

She soiled the new bedding almost immediately. Same drill.

I'm running out of clean blankets and towels for her, so a load is going in the washer right now. It has been nearly 24 hours since she peed outside. She drinks, eats (though not as much as a beagle is supposed to, I think...she's very dainty eater and has to be encouraged to stay at the bowl for more than a bite or two). I take her out after sleep, after playtime, and after any food or drink.

She will not pee no matter how long I sit out there with her. She goes poop and then sits on the grass and won't budge. As soon as I take her back inside, she goes to her crate and pees on the bedding.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh...about the not eating. She always perks up for her Greenie treat at night and eats that with sufficiently Beaglish enthusiasm with the wagging tail and swishing butt and all. She likes her kibble because she gets it as training treats and eats those with relish. When it comes to dinner time, though, she is never excited to eat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Isuspect she was in a cage so long she thinks that is wgere she should go. Poor Kioko. She will get the hang of it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my goodness...I'm so glad you said that the way you did. Now it dawns on me. She thinks that's where to go! She was trying to go on the rug during the first days with us, but we did like the sites all said and interrupted her doing that. So now...she goes in the crate so that we won't shake a can at her when she pees! /smack forehead. That's why she didn't do it at first and now she does.

So...hey. HA HA. She learned the lesson "don't piddle on the carpet if you can at all help it," in only 4 days!!! That's one smart beagle!

We just need some successful outside pees, and she'll start to understand.

I have plenty of doggie shampoo and laundry detergent for the bedding. I was concerned about the crate thing because when she tried to pee on the floor we could see that and interrupt it and take her outside. When she pees in the crate, we don't see her doing it...so we can't correct it or stop it.

I suppose the important thing is to keep her clean and keep taking her outside 18 thousand times per day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one from midday that isn't washed. I will try that.

If she pees on the towel outside...no biggie...at least we're going outside...right? Does it work that way?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hope so! I am not an expert on this, but I know it worked with my dog. However, he was a rescue dog so maybe he was already trained when he was younger? Another thing is, try putting the crate near the door, and watch her. As soon as she starts peeing pick her up and take her outside and let her finish. Then when she's done, say "good bathroom!" or good potty or whatever it is you want to train her to respond to. That way in the future when she's trained you can just say "go bathroom!" and she'll pee on command. Hopefully she'll learn. Im still working on the command thing, and it works about 50% of the time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you make the inside of the crate smaller? Like block half of it off? When I was training Keegan, I blocked off most of her crate so that she had room to turn around and lay down. If you give them too much room inside the crate they have room to pee, and still have room to lay down without getting dirty. At least this is what I was always taught, so correct me if I'm wrong somebody....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by MrsNix:
Oh...about the not eating. She always perks up for her Greenie treat at night and eats that with sufficiently Beaglish enthusiasm with the wagging tail and swishing butt and all. She likes her kibble because she gets it as training treats and eats those with relish. When it comes to dinner time, though, she is never excited to eat.
I think Kioko is just demonstrating another learned behavior (she is one smart beagle!), i.e., "I don't have to eat my dinner because I get good treats at night and all during the day". As hard as it can be (and sometimes it really seems cruel, especially when those big eyes start pleading), you need to stop the Greenies and any other treats. Put down her dinner and leave it there for 30 minutes. If she doesn't eat, pick it up and put it away (re-use if it is just dry food -- otherwise, just toss it). You don't mention breakfast -- you might try the same routine in the morning to get her used to twice a day feedings. I would bet that, after two days, she cleans her bowl. I would also suggest that, until you get her on a regular eating schedule, you back off on the training kibble. Just remember that you are the adult -- you need to guide her, not give in to her and the rewards will be plentiful!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think she will be okay. It sounds like you are on the right track with her. She will surely be better once she gets over the UTI.
Taking the pee-wet padding outside for her to have a new pee scent spot (outside) will eventually teach her that peeing is "highly recommended" outside and not indoors. Praises and plenty of treats (only when she does good, Judy's advice about this is right on the money) will get her to understand that's what she needs to do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Everyone. We're getting ready to go for a nice long, stress-free walk...just me and Kioko and the kidlet. I have peed-on stuff to place in the outside pee spot, and I have a new roll of paper towels and the steam shampooer on ready to keep our home sanitary for another day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I am ordering Nature's Miracle (they don't sell it anywhere on this island), but until then, hot water and soap will have to do.

It's a new day. HA HA HA. Wish us all luck.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beaglemom posted a good article on house breaking in your thread in Introductions. Maybe it'll give you some helpful suggestions.

The antibiotics probably aren't helping matters. I know they mess with my system.

Good luck. One day soon, this will be behind you.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I don't have much potty training advice, as I'm trying to train a new beagle pup myself. But I did want to wish you luck with Kioko.

Please keep us updated! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
230 Posts
I remember hearing from one of our local professional trainers that dogs don't necessarily learn indoors versus outdoors, they learn what types of things to pee on. (I think this was in reply to why a certain dog had peed in the training area, but had refused to pee outdoors on the gravel "potty area.")

We actually ran into this problem with Flora. We got her in January, and house training (we crated her) went pretty well. Once spring came April, Flora starting peeing in the house again. At first we didn't understand why we had the setback, and thought it was a "teenage" beagle rebellion. Then I realized that Flora had spent the previous week finding the last bits of snow to pee on, and now there was none left, and she didn't like mud. We had to retrain her for grass, woodchips, gravel, etc.

My longwinded point here is that taking the peed-on stuff outside is a great way to train Kioko where she is supposed to potty, and that the lesson our smart puppies learn is not necessarily the one we thought we were teaching!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts