Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was Basil's first night with us last night and he settled in relatively well. We only had a few whimpers when we went to bed and I thought great, all is going well.

Until....Andrew left for work at 5.00am and from that point onwards Basil howled and howled and howled.

I felt so sorry for the little guy as did my son and even allowing him in my sons room didn't stop him. So eventually I got up at 5.30am (huge shock to the system at the weekend I can tell you)and spent so time giving him the human contact he craved.

I am really worried that he won't get over separation anxiety. He will be left whilst we are at work with the other 4 beags, in an outside run. I know it is very early days yet but do any of you have any ideas of how we can help him adjust to our way of living and do you think he will. He has been used to almost 2 to 1 human contact all day, every day and has never been away from people in 7 years of his life.

I did explain fully our lifestyle and how our beags live and the owners felt that Basil would be fine, and no doubt, over time he will but it does hurt my heart to hear him so upset.

I would appreciate your words of wisdom.

Thanks

Lisa

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Basil, he has probably been around nothing but humans for a long time, and it will take him a while to adjust to the new schedule. I bet when Andrew returns he will be able to begin realize it is OK but it will it take awhile. In the mean time, maybe Ciaran can make dear Basil feel the pack "Humans" haven't been lost. The rest of the gang have each other and Basil will come to realize this in time. He is lucky to have the rest to help him in this tramatic change.

I give the Bagel a job to do when I go off to work and he sees his role as defending the den whilst I'm away. I;m sure it won't take that long but it is always hard when a rescue is worried and concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saturday noght, he howled and howled and howled and then I realise dit was because he hadn't seen me go to bed and didn't realise where I was. Once I got out of bed, showed him that I was still home, he settled down and went to sleep. He spent the day at my mums today and again howled for a good few hours. Just got in and he had about a 10second play with Skye, the first time he has really acknowledged the other dogs. We are getting there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.