Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Twins are now 6 months, 2 weeks old. We are going to get them fixed but we are going out of town next week, so I wanted to wait until we got back so I could watch out for them.

But today, I looked and realized that Lillie might be in heat! She is swollen and it is really red. Plus I am babysitting my sis's mini dashound and Daisy has been really fighting with Lillie and both are usually really docile.

I wanted to catch them before they went into heat but........looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Next week when we are going to be gone, we plan on keeping them outside with neighbors and family checking on them hourly. How likely will it be that another dog can *get* Lillie through the fence??????

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Oh noooooooooooooo.......!

Why is it these things happen at the most inconvenient times?? Poor Lillie; she probably won't be in a good mood for awhile! Poor Chloe, she won't understand why her sis is a grouch. Poor mom....you have your hands full don't ya?

Ummmmmm....it might be risky to leave Lillie outside while you're gone. I've heard so many horror stories about the lengths males will go to in order to get to a female.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Timing is everything... I didn't know this until we adopted Popcorn (who went into heat right before she was supposed to fly to us from Newfoundland) but it is possible to spay a dog while in heat and therefore one option may be to have her spayed before you go... Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Pup ain't preggers, is she? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

If not, just keep her close (on tiled floors!) and don't let her outside unsupervised. My poor pup Annie was in heat before I could get her fixed. She made a mess and the being in heat didn't agree with her tummy. Poor pup! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Leaving her outside would be far too risky. Some males will get over a six foot wall let alone a mesh fence. Hope you find a solution in time.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I don't know about your pups but Abby acted terribly uncomfortable her first heat. I couldn't imagine, especially if you're going to be as hot as were are, making them stay outside when they already feel like crap.

I also agree that it's faaaaar too risky if they are in heat to leave them outside for a week! Chances are good if you leave them outside unsupervised that at least one will become pregnant.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ricksconnected:
boy your tellin me, i once drove from......oh, beagles. :exactly:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Oh dear, you may not have got her fixed in time. There is a product at PetSmart. It is a spray. I used it on Sadie for her first few heats as I didn't want her pregnant too young. It is supposed to repell boy dogs away somehow. I don't know how reliable it is. You can check it out though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ricksconnected:
boy your tellin me, i once drove from......oh, beagles. :exactly:
:hysterical:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts