Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a cleaning kick for a few days now. Tonight I tackled the linen and medicine cabinets. Zeus was laying on the run in the bathroom watching me clean. I stepped out from the pile around me and I saw Zeus with a paper hanging form him mouth. He eats EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: I grabbed the paper and quickly realized what it was.... a desiccant packet they put with things like shoes to keep the moisture out! The packet says poison do not eat! I freaked out. :pukey: When he was done he ran straight inside and sat by his empty food bowl. I knew immediately he was fine. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad he is OK. When my daughter gets up I am going to show her your post. Several times recently I have found one of those packets on her bedroom floor.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Do you use the peroxide that oyu have for cuts and scrapes? I have heard that there is 2 kinds so I never know which one is ok and which one is not. I usually use salt when I need to make the dogs throw up but I hate doing that.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tell me how the peroxide works, because I have a feeling that with Duke around, it's something that I need to know!

So glad your baby's ok. It's scary when they get into things you know are bad for them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hydrogen peroxide works so much better then salt to induce vomiting. I use a large tablespoon for Zeus he is 30lbs. I dump the tablespoon in a small bowl and he licks it right up. The vet told me he would not mind the taste and she was right. It takes only about 5 minutes to vomit and usually the entire contents of the stomach will come up with two good heaves. There will be a minute or two of dry heaving and that’s it. I could see the little silicon balls from the packet in his vomit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

The vet told us to give him a small amount of water for the first hour after inducing vomiting and then some food. If he keeps the food and water down then the process is done resume normal diet.

One thing about this process that I think it important is that the vomit must be disposed of. Dogs will eat it (GROSS) and then that just defeats the purpose.

We have had to do this twice with Zeus :smack: and while it is not fun at all (breaks my heart to see him sick) it is a short process saves us a needless trip to the emergency vet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
A few precautions on vomiting a dog: don't try this yourself if the dog has ingested any type of dough. The hydrogen peroxide will cause the dough to expand and possible choking. Also be careful with caustic substances that can burn the throat when coming up. Best to call your emergency vet to confirm instructions. Chicken bones and some foreign bodies can get stuck coming up or cause further damage. Check with your vet before trying. The doseage of hydrogen peroxide 3% is 1 tablespoon per 25 lbs. of dog's weight. This can be administered up to three times waiting 10 minutes between dosing. Most poisons/antifreeze (rat killer etc)will require further treatment after vomiting so vet should be contacted. Hope this helps. Julie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts