Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree - they probably won't even remember they were mad at each other once they wake up! Ours definitely live in the moment about things like that - except Booker, who can hold a grudge (especially against us) for a LOOONNNGGG time!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Boy, we had a knock down drag'em out tonight. Bought a new stuffed bone for them to share. Buckley got very territorial and attacked Jewelie. Wouldn't even stop when we intervened. It was quite scary. Someone was bleeding, although we couldn't tell who it was. This tends to happen when we buy new toys; Buckley gets very territorial. Fortunately, they are quite happy together 99% of the time, but bring a new toy in and it's pandemonium. Anyone else have this experience?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Cute photo! Hope they are good friends again. What caused their tiff?

Katie,we cant have soft toys. The one time we did Susi went all broody and attacked Snoopy when he went near the toy. She was used for too many years for breeding. Also had the experience of having her pups removed too early (for experiments). So no soft toys in this house (apart from my 59 year old teddy- locked in the guest room for safety!!!!).

We feed our two in seperate rooms to avoid friction.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Aww! They just needed time apart! I agree with the others that I'm sure they forgot they were mad once they woke up. Lucky gets mad at me sometimes and puts himself under the bed or hides in the blankets on the bed. Then he wakes up and forgets he was ever mad at me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes, definately no soft toy for Charlie. Torn in pieces within a day depending the size of it.
Of course he is not sharing also, unheard of!
He would even attack to get the other piece off Marlin's mouth. He likes to hide things away, holes in the yard is a prove, and the other day I couldn't find the kong, it was hiding behind couple of cushions on the sofa. But, I had a good laugh still.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Katie:
Boy, we had a knock down drag'em out tonight. Bought a new stuffed bone for them to share. Buckley got very territorial and attacked Jewelie. Wouldn't even stop when we intervened. It was quite scary. Someone was bleeding, although we couldn't tell who it was. This tends to happen when we buy new toys; Buckley gets very territorial. Fortunately, they are quite happy together 99% of the time, but bring a new toy in and it's pandemonium. Anyone else have this experience?
That happened to me once with a foster dog. Bugsey is now missing a bite size peice out of his ear. I could not friggin believe it. Now the fosters get their own area when we cannot supervise.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ours love soft toys, the mission here, which takes about 30 mins, is to take possession (fights) and get that sqeaky thing out as soon as possible. Stuffing everywhere, very close monitoring to get sqeaky thing out of mouth as soon as the prize has been found. Louise usually wins, as she has to have "it all". They have never drawn blood, which amazes me. They love each other desperately, however.

I understand that dogs live in the moment, and there are not "grudges" but I sometimes wonder about that theory, because, dogs can look so guilty when they know they have done something wrong, as well as "pouting" sometimes. Who are these dog experts, anyway?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yep, Thelma Lou, the mission in our house is the same. And when it's old toys that have been around a while, it's a friendly competition involving brutal disembowelment of all stuffed toys. When a new toy is thrown into the mix, suddenly Buckley becomes incredibly territorial to the point where they are fighting he won't listen to us at all. We have to physically separate them and confiscate the toy!

Things are fine after that, and friendly ever since. I guess the rule is to either buy none or buy two and hope for the best!! That, and close supervision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts