Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Beagle constantly leaves me scratching my head!!

We went out of town last weekend by ourselves for the first time since bringing him home last September. My parents came up to stay with him, which was nice but made me nervous. My parents are dog people in the sense that we are. They don't let animals on the furniture and if they knew that Blue slept with us they would have a fit!!! To my surprise, Blue was an angel!! He ate, he told them when he had to go potty (yes we are still struggling with this at times) and slept all night both nights. I am wondering if he was just too exhausted to be a brat. Mom played with him every waking moment!!! Talk about being spoiled. We walked in and he greeted us, as soon as Mom and Dad left, he curled up on his couch and slept the rest of the day. In total, Sunday and Monday I think he slept about 20 hours!!!

Yesterday, we took him for a car ride and he did really well, we had drool but that was it. Today, we took him on the same ride and had issues about half a mile from the house. The rest of the trip was okay, but I am thankful I have a full cover for the back seat of my car!!

It seems like we take 5 steps forwards and then turnaround to take 10 steps back with this one. I am crossing my fingers that the obedience classes will help a little bit and seeing other dogs go in the car might make him a little bit more excited about going for rides with us (maybe without the aid of Wendy's french fries being involved)!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh Blue....

Maria, it sounds to me like he's a good boy, Chloe has some issues with car rides sometimes. Have you tried putting him in a bag/crate during the ride? It seems to make Chloe more relaxed. She just goes to sleep, whereas without putting her in her bag, she will drool and be restless the entire ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Molly has the same problem. She is super good and cute when others are around and naughty when it is just us. I have a hard time convincing anyone that she can be naughty. At least Blue was good when it counted.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Dogs know when people are 'leaders' and behave. Most dogs dont take me seriously and people are surprised at how badly behaved their perfect companions become in my company. Susi and snoopy treat Dave as leader of the pack and are just begining to recognise me as second in command!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He actually freaks out more if he is in a crate or a bag, this is one we can't figure out. We don't mind the drool, it's when he makes himself sick from drooling so much that is hard.

Overall, he is good. Still hasn't figured out heel and likes to dig in my yard. That and we don't trust him out in the house by himself yet either, but that's just a Beagle/puppy thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts