Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are observing a very weird (seemingly) behavior from Morgan. You can see her background info here.

For me (the male of the house) Morgan is fairly well-behaved as far as house-training goes. There is the occasional in-house accident, but it's very rare.

For my girlfriend, the behavior is completely different. Just this morning (and this has happened multiple times), she takes Morgan outside and Morgan drags her around the yard sniffing at this and that but never going. Then almost immediately on coming into the house, Morgan goes right in front of Cristi on the floor. Sometimes she'll do it in another room where we don't see it right away, sometimes it's right in front of her.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? Is it a dominance thing?

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
242 Posts
well, i'n no expert but i had malamutes for years so i've at least been through boot camp...

it sure sounds like it to me. does christi live there permanently or is she seen as a guest? who feeds morgan? does christi enforce the rules or let them slide a bit?

i didn't read the background so forgive me if this is already answered but i have hear it said frequently that the male voice being deeper - and perhaps the smell of male testosterone leads some dogs to respect the male human over the female.

others here will know better than i though. good luck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Cristi lives here with us. And she's been a good enforcer as far as I can see. We've tried to practice consistency as far as what we will and will not allow as it pertains to behavior from Morgan, but that doesn't seem to matter in this case.

The lower voice definitely makes sense, as Morgan seems much more responsive to my commands than Cristi's. But for the most part she's a very good dog, just this weird housebreaking behavior that has us stumped...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmm...I'm not sure. I know Lucky responds better to me than my fiance. But that's because I took Lucky to training and I practice the commands with him. I also feed Lucky and make sure he is taken care of. Shane just plays with him. Though sometimes I think Lucky likes him better! I guess I'm the mean one since I am the one who scolds him too. I know Lucky does not listen well to Shane's commands since I do everything with Lucky. I'm not sure why Morgan would be that way towards Cristi.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think that dogs will always listen to one of the handlers a little more than the other, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for Cristi to be a leader in Morgan's eyes.

I would probably start by having Cristi walking Morgan from now on (everytime she can anyway). Make sure Morgan never walks in front of Cristi.
Cristi should feed her, and call her to come eat. Mix the food with her hands, so that the food would have her scent on it. Even hand feed her at the beginning of every meal. That would show Morgan that she is dependant in Cristi.

When Morgan is doing something wrong when Cristi is present, she should correct her. Stand tall, and firmly say NO. If it's potty, then immediately after the NO, take Morgan outside.

Also, if Morgan is still not potty trained, when she is taken out and not going potty, take her back inside and into her Crate (I assume you are crate training), then an hour later, straight from the crate take her outside.

It's really important to be persistant and not give up! You'll get there!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts