Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the following is normal behavior for a beagle.

Lately Harley has started to whimper whenever anyone leaves the room, he could be in a room filled with people but if one of us steps out he will start to whimper until we come back.

Last night we were all dead asleep including Harley and I got up to get a drink of water and he softly whimpered until I returned.

He's never done that before. Is that seperation anxiety even if we are only gone a couple of seconds ?
Andy.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Certainly sounds like seperation anxiety. Dave says that if I go out (shopping or something) both our hounds are restless until I return, even though he is with them. Does Harley try to follow the person who leaves the room?
Creeping out can make the matter worse, Harley thinks you are going. Try telling the person leaving the room, to walk normally without looking at the dog. On their return they should make a fuss of Harley and give him a treat. He should then start to associate a person leaving with a treat on their return.
I only had to say to my last beagle, Spotty, "I'm going shopping, back in a minute" and she would curl up on the couch, probably dreaming of the treat she hoped to get when I returned.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If I leave the house Caesar will whine and try to climb through the venetian blinds at the front window trying to get to me. Shane says that he usually settles down after a few minutes. Even if I go down into the basement he looks through the railings for me. I think giving a treat when you come back sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It sounds like separation anxiety. Lucky only starts to whine if I put him in the bathroom and he knows I'm still there. If I'm around, he wants to be with me. He does allow me time to shower without him though! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is like that as well. Whenever one of us leaves, she'll cry and whimper. She outgrew doing it when one of us left the room, but she still does it when one of us leaves the apartment. I can't leave her alone at all in the apartment. She howls and cries as if she was being tortured. Ignore the behavior when you leave. Don't give him any attention when he's doing the crying. Don't make too big of a fuss about coming back in either. A treat given only if he's calm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harley used to howl as if he was being tortured when we started his crate training. He also used to howl when I used to let him out to do his business.

If I stayed outside with him he was fine, but if I let him go outside by himself his howling was enough to wake the dead. Thankfully he outgrew this, as staying outside when it was minus 30 was not fun.

Back to the whimpering - if I leave for work he is fine. It's as if he knows that when I leave for work that is his place for the next little while. But when we are home with him it feels as if he has to see all of us or he isn't happy.

Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts