Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks!

I haven't posted since probably November, because I've been insanely swamped with work, but I have a question about my beagle, Elvis.

Some of you may remember that Elvis got loose and was hit by a car around Thanksgiving, injuring his back left leg. It's healed up well since then. He's using the leg and has an occasional limp on cold, rainy mornings, but is otherwise back to his normal self.... with one exception.

He licks any surface he can get his tongue on, constantly. The floor, the walls, the furniture, people, our other dog, himself, you name it, he's always licking something. ALWAYS. This behavior started after his injury and has gotten progressively worse. I don't know if it's a result of the accident or if it's just coincidence.

He gets a lot of exercise and attention, so I know it's not boredom or pent up energy. In fact, he'll even lick you while you're playing with him. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. He's a pretty mellow dog, otherwise, gets along well with our kid, the other dog, us, etc. So I don't think there's anything to really be stressing him out.

Really, I just think he's insane.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel will not nest for the evening without giving me a perfunctionary lick. Fortunately it lasts about 25 seconds but it is part of his routine and if I should hide under the covers he is most distressed. I learned the hard way that poking my head out of the covers is not the way so offering a sacrifical hand is part of our routine. Been doing this for the 11 and half years he's been with me, don't think he's going to change. Beagles, they have their quirks, just like all of us!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yup, mine does that too. It's like a tweak that he gets. Not much I can do so I redirect his attention to something else when he does it alot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It may never change, and just be the way he is. My Ruby MUST lick my feet EVERY morning. EIther in bed, or after I get up. She'll follow my feet around the kitchen while I get breakfast, trying desperately to lick them. At night, too. And other time throughout the day if I'm laying on the couch. She'll painfully paw at my feet until I relent.

And Bailey will lick the carpet, bed, and sofa cushions sometimes.

They also get plenty of attention and toys, but they just like to lick!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts