Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to brag on my little man
We had our first obedience class tonight that he was allowed to come to (the first night was parent orientation). We learned focus, confidence with new things, not jumping up to greet people, and started working on stay and release. He did really good tonight and seems totally worn out. Maybe it's from the mental workout? The one thing that makes me roll my eyes about it is how picky his with his treats. They suggested bringing some of his food for treats along with a few other higher value treats. Of course when I tried using his food he just turned his nose up at it like he always does. I've tried 4 different foods now and he's always like that. Anyway, offer him some cheese or a liver treat and he'll do anything for you! Haha, all in all I'm very proud of him

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats awesome congrats. Mine graduates this Saturday from his Puppy Class. Next stop is the intermediate class.

Mine is also always really tired after the class.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congratulations! We really enjoyed puppy class. It was a lot of fun. Jersey was a holy terror when we first got her and after just a week of obedience we saw a noticeable difference in her behavior. Those classes were great. Jersey was always wiped out after obedience class too. I think it's the mental challenge that drains them. Good luck with class and I hope you have as much fun with Squegee as we did with Jersey.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congrats!!! That's great

As for treats, I recommend beef/turkey frankfurters chopped to little miniscule pieces. That way he won't have to stop and chew and will remain focused on you.

And in my experience - they will learn how to make coffee for you to get those! (ok, kidding about the coffee part
)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Classes are fun - aren't they? We finished basic obedience in December and will start part 2 in February.

I'm shocked to hear that your beagle is finicky about snacks...I did not know that was possible!!

We brought cheese or deli turkey but his favorite was hot dogs. He had an opportunity to do an obstacle course in one of the classes and he might have set a world record when chasing the hot dog pieces!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts