Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not enough that I can't even let my dogs out for 5 minutes to go to the bathroom and have to use puppy pads almost exclusively now (because there is NO time of day or night that the neighbors' dogs, cats and kids aren't out there to distract my dogs and make them bark). The ONLY time it's safe for mine to go outside is if it's pouring rain and the neighbors' dogs, cats and kids are inside. I have to CHECK before opening the door to see if any of their critters are around playing near my fence - a few minutes ago Tanna was having a fit in his crate - so I went to let him out - and there were 3 cats on MY front porch - inside MY fenced yard! You have no idea how tempted I was to let ALL the dogs out - but I didn't want the nice kitties KILLED. However, would gladly shoot the neighbors myself if I had something other than my finger to shoot with! I'm so darned tired of this! There are leash laws for dogs - why can't cat owners have to have the same rules? They don't have to leash their cats, don't have to license their cats (who, by the way are outside all the time and often yowl outside my window at 4 am), don't have to have cats vaccinated for diseases, and let them breed every 5-6 months! One of my neighbors gets tired of finding cat poop in her garden. Don't get me wrong, I like cats - I just think cat owners should have the same rules as dog owners. The same neighbor has a little dog who is TIED out in their front yard from 6 am until they go to bed (unless it's raining, of course). Because of them I can't let my dogs out, because they might BARK and disturb someone, and they'll call the police! GRRRRR! I've never called the police on their kids when they threw firecrackers at my dogs, or climbed on my garage roof, or woke us at 7 am playing with their radio controlled toys in my driveway, or play basketball outside at 10 pm near my bedroom window, or when their dog is running loose (which IS against the law). Am I being too sensitive? I just want my dogs to be able to go out in their own yard and enjoy some sunshine for a few minutes without some idiot calling the cops. This stupid little town has a 24/7 noise ordinance, which is absolutely absurd. Most places it's after 10 pm and before 6 am - which is logical - but NOT HERE. I don't let my dogs bark incessently (it bothers me, too), and try to bring them in within a couple of minutes. I don't even take a shower if they're outside because I couldn't hear them and bring them inside quickly.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's ridiculous. If I were you, I'd go over and have a little chat with them. They need to offer the same respect for you as you have for them. If they throw a fit, tell them next time you see their cats on your property, the dogs automatically go out.

I also agree that there should be rules that apply to cats as well. It's really not fair.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, I couldnt live like that. Here dogs are allowed to bark none stop for 15 minutes except between 12-14.00 (lunchtime) and 10pm-7am. However, nobody calls the police if a dog barks longer.
Cats have right of way here as well, but if the dogs kill one in their garden its the cats own fault. O.k. we dont let the dogs out when we see a cat is there, we shoo it away first.
Are you allowed to put a solid fence up, one that the dogs cant see through? A garden is for dogs is a shame if they cant be outside.

·
Registered
223 Posts
oh my gosh I would have totally blown a fuse by now if i were you - you're still handling it so well.

Maybe you ought to try killing your neighbors with kindness.. that is, bring them some fresh yummy homemade chocolate chip cookies and stuff every so often and they might feel too bad to tell on you. Its ridiculous that you have to do something like that though. Its also incredibly unfair! your dogs NEED the sunlight, fresh air, and a REAL place to potty, not some pad.

Also, I totally agree with you on the cat laws thing. I have been woken up at 3am many MANY times with cats yowling in heat. I have even heard horrible cat fights that literally sounded like the world was ending. Oh, and heres a kicker, one time my brother heard a cat yowling on the roof, then another cat joined, and it must have been a fight bc next thing he hears is cats rolling down the roof bump bump bump and yowling all the way, at 2am. nice.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Gosh Glenda, that's a tough one. Is there anyway you can talk to your surrounding neighbors and tell them everything you just vented here? Maybe they really don't see the double standard?? Sounds extremely frustrating!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure about your area, but I know when my family had cats we did have to have them licensed and rabies vaccinated. I say call animal control if the cats are too bothersome. It may not make good neighbors if you call animal control on a beloved pet, so warn your neighbors that you don't want to have it go that far but you need your sleep. As for the cats in your yard, they will figure out that it is a dog's yard if they are there when your dogs are and chase them out. When I got my pointed she kept all the cats away but because I kept her tags on her, the cats could hear her approaching and could run away.

I totally agree though that cat owners often think that because cats can be more independent, cat ownership doesn't require as much responsibility. It makes me really mad that so many cats are put down every year because people don't want to be bothered to spay and neuter their cats. It is just cruel.

Good luck. I hope you can find a good solution for you and your pets.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
They do make a deterent spray that might work on keeping the cats away. You can spray the perimeter of your yard with it. I got a bottle of it at Ace Hardware and use it for racoons. Also, if you have access to a hose where the cats are coming on your property - give them a spray a few times. Bet they will disappear soon.

Hope things lighten up for you soon, I know how frustrating it can be.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
That is absolutely ridiculous. If the dogs were barking up a storm in the middle of the night, then I can understand but during the day? I don't see a problem. Plus, if they choose to let their cats out and leave their dog tied outside then they are inviting the barking IMO. I'd go have a talk with them. There is a Basset two doors down from me who bays/barks every single time they let him outside but I don't mind so long as it's during the day. Now, the 4AM barking does get annoying but even I deal with that since it's infrequent that they let him do that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, Glenda, that is terrible. I feel so bad that you are in that situation. At first, I thought you have to fight fire with fire, but I think I am wrong. Artimus BW may have it right, with killing them with kindness. Let's face it, you do have a large pack and if they were all barking at the same time your neighbors are definitely going to be upset (maybe only us here would appreciate 10 beagles baying together!!!). Maybe if you can kill them with kindness, but talk to them at the same time about the situation. Maybe letting your pack out in shifts. Even try getting the neighbors to get to know some of your dogs, so that maybe they won't be so inclined to complain. It's not fair to you, but unless moving is an option you may have to try something! Good luck with the situation and do keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh, Charlie barks really really loud too! I just make sure those are legit hours...no after 10pm and no earlier than 7am. No police call yet. My neighbors all know Charlie, little harmless dog just bark loud. My house is at the corner and fence side is the public street. Yes, everytime people walk their dogs, arrrroooo comes Charlie. Sometimes teeth growling, vicious little thing, all 26 lb of him.
Thanks goodness I do not have cats problem, none of my neighbors have cat only dogs. At times there is a long chain of arrrrooo, my neighbor's basset hound. a whole symphony orchestra here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That situation would drive me nuts!!

If i were you i would first kindly try and resolve it with the neighbers than if they continue to allow there cats all over your property, I would let my dogs out. Its yours and your dogs property. If there are cats there...thats not your problem. I'm sure after a few times of your dogs chasing the cats away
they won't come back.

My grandfather had a problem with cats once. He knew who the owners were and tried to have them resolve it. After years of frustration he actually set traps (humane traps) and each time he would bring the cats to the same shelter/pound and the owners would have to go pick them up.
Only then did the cats stop coming over. Sometimes poeple don't care about the problems they're causing others till it cause them problems.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you haven't already, you may want to consult the local police/town officials and get a copy of the town's ordinances to find out exactly what YOUR rights are. I have an understanding with my neighbors that if my dogs don't stop barking (Bailey goes crazy when you first let him out) after 15 minutes, I will bring them in. Hope you are able to work this out soon.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Wait a minute--these people tie up their poor dog outside all day every day, let their unspayed cats run around loose, let their hooligan kids throw firecrackers at your dogs, and then have the nerve to call if your dogs bark a little? I think it's time to call animal control about the puppy and the police about their kids. Grrr.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is the city rule 24/7 of quiet inforced only if people call the police and report you? Have you tried writing a nice letter to the neighbors. Explain that you have Beagles that need exercise in your own yard. And that yes Beagles will bark at anything. Maybe you could work out some times where they have their animals/kids inside or times when yours can be out and can just bark and have some fun. Explain your frustration and your dogs are suffering because they have to stay inside the house too much. Ask them if they have any suggestions that would help you out.

We don't have it that bad here. We get up at 5 a.m. and I have to take Sadie out on her leash in our fenced back yard to be sure she doesn't pick up on a scent. If she does, she will start running, baying, yipping and barking. We already had our neighbor call twice at 6 and 6:30 when she was out barking on a trail. Pooh Bear is quiet, he isn't noisy like Sadie. So if she is noisy I try to make her wait until 7 a.m. to go out as that is when this complaining neighbor gets up. Our neighbor said he didn't care if ours barked all day long, as long as it isn't early in the morning.

Best of luck with this and keep us posted.

I would call animal control and just say you wish to remain anonymous. Explain that your neighbor's cats are in your yard and on your porch all the time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That just sucks, Glenda. I know you mentioned your friend suggested covering the fence so your pack can't see what's outside it. What about tall hedges that would do the same thing, but give you something ornamental.

About the cats, well, I'm not always nice so I'd let the dogs out to teach them to stay off your porch. Maybe put a leash on a few dogs so you know they can't really do any harm, and then let them out. After a few times of getting scared, I would hope the cats would learn to stay off your porch and property.

Oh, and I would call the police every time the neighbors did something, just like they do. Good luck to you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts