Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thing I've noticed about Buddy is I think he is producing too much mucus and doesn't know how to spit or something and he ends up what to me looks like kind of choking. He starts doing this snorting thing and then it looks like he is choking so I start to pat his sides a little hard to help his lungs and maybe knock out whatever is making him do that. Anyone else have an idea of what that is or any advice? Taken him to the vet has been of no success either.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Definitely sounds like "reverse sneezing" episode to me. With my first beagle, Princess, it scared me so much, but now I feel bad for them, but really, they aren't serious. I usually just talk calmly to them, and rub their throats - sometimes that will help, with one of mine rubbing the tummy seems to relax her, they really aren't choking. Just sounds like an "asthma attack" and sounds scary. Some of my "kids" have them fairly frequently - some never - some rarely. Important for you not to "panic" though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let me just reinforce the "reverse sneezing" suggestion.

My beagle, Kioko, has this, and the first time I heard it, it scared me half to death. I thought she was going to hack up a lung or something.

Apparently...it's harmless and quite normal for beagles especially. Kioko typically does it right after drinking or eating vigorously. Our veterinarian heard her doing this and assured me that it sounds bad but is totally harmless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much about identifying what Buddy is doing. He is my first dog...yes...I just had to have a Beagle pup as my first pooch..couldn't resist the eyes..the whole little face and little pot belly. I really like this forum....you all have helped me so much already. I don't know what I would've done without any advice from u all..kinda hard to be the only one too taking care of my little guy while my hubby is overseas..he is in the military.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
To stop a reverse sneeze, gently pinch closed Buddy's nose. This will force him to breath through his mouth and break the cycle. You may have to do this more than once.

It works for me with Murphy and Summer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes its def reverse sneezing. meg does it now and again, especially if she is pulling hard. when she had a cold at christmas she was doing it loads so when i rang the vet he explained it, its something to do with the back of their throat or something. completly harmless but did say if a dog was doing it 24/7 then there was a small operation they can do to reduce this size of this flap in their throat. or something like that anyway........ dont quote me on that though !! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both my purebred beagles do the reverse sneeze, but my beagle mix female does not. Go figure. What works for my boys is to hug them and talk softly and rub their throats. When they calm down, I give them water in a paper cup, cold from the fridge. For some reason, it all works for us! I think drinking from a cup makes them concentrate on something other than the sneeze and they stop panicking.

But I'm trying Murphy's dad's suggestion about pinching the nose next time and will report back. Sounds like a great idea.

My vet knew immediately what it was when I asked him about it 9 years ago, so I'm betting is fairly common with beagles if not other hounds as well. That super sniffer in action.

Tammy
BeagleMama to Yukon, Sadie & Petey

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey does that sometimes. Amber used to do it all the time. I do the same thing as Joe and cover Jersey's nose. It stops her every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts