Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week old will not walk, if he is not in control he will lay down and force me to drag him or pick him up!! When I take him out to go potty I have to let him have some control or else he will hold it, so I give him some slack. After he's done his business and had a few minutes of play time, I want to walk him. He will protest by pulling against me or laying down in the grass. Should I use a choker or nose controller, currently I use a harness (I know they are bad for training but my wife is against tugging on a leash attached to his neck). I am the one training him and walking him so I am going to change that.

1)Should I train with choker or nose controller? Tugging him and trying to redirect him with a harness is impossible.
2)How do I get him to stop laying down and how can I get him up without dragging?
3)How can I get him to walk at my side?

I demonstrate dominance all day except when he's looking for spot to go. I want him to exercise, but its hard to do when he's laying.

·
Registered
786 Posts
First Welcome!

Second, what I would do is try to make it as fun as possible. Or bring treats. Right now he probably doesn't understand whats going on, so making it fun will help...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know about using a choke chain but a martingale would be good since it's cloth/nylon and will go slack easily.

I agree with pfr - treats could be a great way to get him to walk since Beagles are really food-oriented. A couple steps, reward, a couple more steps, reward. And make the sessions short initially, 5-10min at a time, working up to longer sessions. Once he's learned that walking means good things, other instincts will take over (such as the reward of getting to sniff new things).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant a martingale, I tried it he hates it and gets violent.

I would like to give him treats for walking, but he never walks at my side so I can't reward, when I try to position him at my side he lays down, Catch 22!

I tried bribing him to stand up and walk, but he goes through his commands (he sits, lays and shakes) then barks when he doesn't get the reward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.