Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if there is much I can do about this, but I figured I would ask. During the day while I am at work Daisy is in the upstairs bathroom. She is mostly paper trained it seems. She will pee on the puppy pad but she seems to refuse to poop on it. Everyday I come home to find poop on the floor and she's walked all in it.

Any ideas on how to get her to go to the puppy pad?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know this sounds gross but you could try spreading a little of her poop on the pad. She needs to be able to smell the scent of it there to understand that is the place to go.

She still might tread in it or miss the pad and do it over the edge though because dogs tend to like a larger area to poop on than they do to pee on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm by no means an expert - my first and only beagle is 10 months old. Have you tried crating her during the day? It's been months since Boomer has had an accident in his crate. He has a blanket over the top of it to keep it nice and dark, has a bed and blanket inside so he really views it as his "den" or hide out/relax spot. Dogs will often hold it much better in their crates becuase they don't want to mess up their dens.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have never been a fan of paper training since it doesn't discourage them from going in the house which is the ultimate goal of house training. I would recommend crating training as dogs will not usually go where they sleep.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll try the crate tomorrow then. I think you're right with it ruining house training since she has peed on the floor twice since I got home. She hadn't done that much at all up until we started with the paper training.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Definately crate train...the rewards are numerous in the end, more than just potty training, it is awesome.

but you have to start off slow, know that if you slam him in the crate and he has never been in one, he will not like it...read up on crate training..put a treat in there, leave it open, put a kong in there, you want it to be a 'safe' place.

Good luck
Manda

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I noticed that your puppy is only 11 weeks old. How long are you at work for? Because if it's all day you will almost certainly come home to a crate full of wee and poop.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
I noticed that your puppy is only 11 weeks old. How long are you at work for? Because if it's all day you will almost certainly come home to a crate full of wee and poop.
My husband went home today at lunch to let her outside. I figure one of us or my Mother in Law will do this for a while. He said she was doing just fine in the crate, no messes so maybe this will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts