Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Maggie in for her annual titers, rabies shot, etc. She also had to have some lab tests repeated as, prior to her surgery, her liver enzymes were out of whack. Well, the vet called tonight and the liver-related tests are even more abnormal, particularly the alkaline phosphatase which has sky-rocketed. So ... I will be scheduling Maggie for an ultrasound at the veterinary hospital here in Tampa. Fortunately (or unfortunately, I guess), we have an already established relationship with an excellent internist there because of past problems. My vet is concerned that Maggie might be headed for trouble and wants to get a diagnosis so we can start whatever treatments might be needed. Very disappointing news -- I thought Maggie was doing so well since her surgery. When she got weighed at the vet, she had lost 3 lbs. since October and I was thrilled. Now we are thinking weight loss might be related to other things. Will let you all know how this goes. Meanwhile, Maggie is feeling chipper and I will focus on that!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Judy that is scary.....will you be taking her to FVS? I have always had great experiences there in my emergency situations. I keep them on speed dial just in case.

Sammy and I are sending puppy prayers and lots of belly rubs for Maggie !!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, FVS - Dr. Mears there. He is really a top-notch diagnostician and he has done all of Maggie's past ultrasounds so there will be some means of comparison which I think is good. My vet is pretty conservative and not one to rush to judgment so his calling FVS right after we spoke is worrisome. I will try to call tomorrow to schedule for next week but may have to wait until Monday to make appointment.
Thanks for good thoughts and Maggie will love the belly rubs!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Judy, I'm so sorry that Maggie isn't doing well. She's such a sweet little lady. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out OK. Until then, lots of belly rubs and Beagle kisses to Miss Maggie!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Judy, I'm so sorry that Maggie's having problems. You may recall that my Traveler had liver enzyme readings that were off the charts, and it really scared me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif He had gotten really thin when this occurred. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'm not really sure which part of his enzymes were so high, but when I asked on BW, Jen, Snickers' mom, replied with the 175 mg. milk thistle and 400 I.U. vitamin E per day therapy. My vet also put Traveler on Sam-E. This combination did wonders for Traveler, and his two subsequent blood workups have been normal. :bounce: I don't know whether this therapy would be appropriate for Maggie or not, but wanted to mention it. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. Here are some cyber tummy rubs for Maggie.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So sorry to learn about Maggie's health problems, Judy. I'll pray for her fast recovery. Boeing sends his beagly licks and kisses, too.

Pat

·
Registered
540 Posts
Poor Maggie! As if she doesn't have enough to worry about! I hope things work out fine and that she's back to her old self soon.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
I liked your comment, "if she's feeling chipper, we'll focus on that".

Hail, Hail to that!

All the love from this house to yours.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Oh Judy I hope all will be well for our dear Maggie. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Hoping for good news soon.

Monica and Daisy Sending kisses and tummy rubs out to you two. :heart:

·
Registered
82 Posts
(((((HUGS)))))

Yes, as Sandy said... a few years ago, our vet put Snickers on...

Milk Thistle 175 mg
Vitamin E 400 IU

AND since October,

SAM-e 200 mg.

Feel free to PM me. If you would like, I will share with you our experience over the last few years, reference material, etc.

PLEASE...Bring up the above Protocol with your vet.

Sandy's vet had not heard of it before she brought it up and brought in a printout of Snickers' experience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Forgot to mention...

Since, October, Snickers has also been on a STRICT diet of Liver Disease Prescription Dog food along with the 3 pills above. ABSOLUTELY, nothing else in his diet. I have to dehydrate canned dog food so he can have a "cookie".

Oct 18th, his levels were outrageously HIGH.
ALT 5,278 (14-151)
Alk Ptase 2,688 (13-289)
Bilirubin 11.9 (0.1-0.5)
Bile Acid 994 (0.0-12.0)

October 26
ALT 932 (14-151)
Alk Ptase 1353 (13-289)
Bilirubin 0.5 (0.1-0.5) NORMAL
Bile Acid 51.1 (0.0-12.0)

November 24
ALT 53 (14-151) NORMAL
Alk Ptase 221 (13-289) NORMAL
Bilirubin 0.2 (0.1-0.5) NORMAL
Bile Acid 7.9 (0.0-12.0) NORMAL

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Judy,
I'm sorry to hear Maggie hasn't improved. We will keep you both in our thoughts.

Keep us informed on her progress.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Judy, oh how upsetting. You and Maggie girl are in my thoughts and prayers. And of course, you find out all this at the end of the week so you have to wait all weekend to get an appt. She is such a sweeet looking girl.....keep us closely posted.....waiting anxiously for good news. Beth, Bill, Thelma and Louise

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, Judy we shall keep you and maggie in our thoughts and hope all has a happy end.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Sure sorry to hear of another challenge for you and Maggie....as if you could get a break! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I'm excited to hear about Jen and Sandy's experience with the supplements! Perhaps your vet will have ideas on how to proceed to help her....keeping you in thought and prayer.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Judy,

Have you and Maggie on my mind...hope this is only a "bump" in the road.

My Olivia's BUN is off the charts, all other labs totally normal. She is 14+ years old and otherwise doing well.

Like senior citizens, our senior pups keep us challenged.

How is Maggie feeling today?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all SO much for your good wishes and helpful advice! It really means a lot to me that there are so many people out there who care about my Mags and we haven't even met most of them in person -- this is really quite a forum. As an update, Maggie's ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday. We go for a 9:00 meeting with her internist and then Maggie will stay the day. I will go from work to meet with the doctor again and then bring her home. I was looking at the results of her 2005 ultrasound -- at that time her liver was enlarged and had irregularities and there was lots of sludge in her gallbladder. She was on phenobarb at the time and doctors thought negative findings were related to her meds. Since she has been off of Pb for a long while and not on anything else that could cause side effects, that is no longer a possible cause (and wonder if that really was the case back then). Jen -- thanks so much for sharing info about protocol. Snicker's changes were phenomenal. Fortunately, my vet is very open to trying alternative meds (he is all in favor of the "Leaks No More"). Will wait and see what is going on and go from there. Maggie is feeling fine -- totally oblivious to any of my anxiety (although probably wondering why she is getting extra hugs -- from her BW friends)!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi Judy

Hope things work out ok, am praying for some good news for Maggie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts