Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably need prayers. (well the subject line was too short so had to finish here).

Shiloh B. has a trick routine that he is really good at & sometimes I will ask him to do part of it - one of the tricks he will do almost automatically is dance on his hind legs. The wood deck I have - was not part of the house when I moved in - I won it in a silent auction and the guys really did a shoddy job. It is adequate but some of the wood has now warped & splintered. I would have thought the planks for the flooring would have met each other - maybe they have warped too. Most are not bad but there are a couple that if I don't make sure where I am walking - I can stub my toes. So I guess I have set the stage a little - as we have done many times in the past (but NEVER again, when I was bringing the Beaglebratz in earlier today (about noon) I asked Shiloh to dance - he automatically obliged & willingly began. In one of those freak accidents he got his left rear paw wedged down between those two boards. He freaked - I tried to remain calm at first & pull his paw loose (by the way, his paw appears to be fine now & he will even let me touch it & rub the pads. However, he did not appreciate my help nor could I get the paw loose. Why I need prayers - my calmness did not last long altho really I guess this whole freakish episode did not last long. I kept trying to get Shiloh B's paw loose but it would not budge - I kept trying because I didn't know what else to do - I am alone. And yes, he did bite my arm, a couple of times & yes, the bites did draw blood. Finally, I think his paw may have slid forward just a bit because it did come loose. I watched him for a sec or 2 - he was limping a little but not bad. I left the Beaglebratz closed in on the deck while I went in to wash off my arm It did stop bleeding profusely and I bandaged it - he is up to date on his rabies & I had my last tetanus less than 7 years ago. By the time I had it bandaged, Shiloh B. was no longer limping. I go onto a family picnic, my arm is hurting but not bleeding.

Ok - now for more on Shiloh B. I get home & the first thing I do is check on him - he is acting like he does when I get home from work - wriggly greeting with tail wag. I go over him, check his paw - even rub it - all good. Then I notice that his sheath is swollen a bit - about the size of a small marble on each side - of course I am instantly on the alert however I do let the Beaglebratz outside - Shiloh B. appears to go potty with no trouble. After potty, the swelling has pretty much disappeared. I will keep my eye on him tonite - not sure how much sleeo I will get - not sure how much sleep the pain in my arm will allow me to get.

I am worried about contacting anyone about this - the vet or my doc. Even tho Shiloh B. is utd on his rabies and the ONLY reason he bit me - it was totally my fault - he was acting out of pain and fear. Primarily what I am feeling is achiness in my fingers as long as I don't touch the bites. They will remain bandaged until I redress them in the morning after washing with soap and water and using hydrogen peroxide on the bites. I will likely call my doc if my arm worsens at all.

Any prayers for us as well as your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Since he is your dog it doesn't matter that he bit you, it would only be a problem if he had done this to someone else. I would not worry about contacting your doc if your arm needs medical attention. You are in my thoughts. Hope you feel better.
Oh hydrogen peroxide is not good for wounds, it eats the good tissue just wash with soap and water and bandage with a neosporin.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh how awful!! Poor you guys! I hope your arm feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I feel so bad for you both. Hopefully both of you will mend quickly. Keep us updated though. Don't worry about what anyone thinks including your doctors. I think everyone knows that when a dog is trapped and fearful the first instinct is to bite.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your prayers - a quik update. Shiloh B. is mending better/quiker than I am but I am at work. My hand isn't stiff altho there is a little achiness to it. The bites look clean and there is minimal swelling and bruising - usually for me I would be really black and blue by now but that still may happen. I redressed the 3 worst areas and put polysporin on them - no neosporin in house. Now I just need to get thru the day trying not to worry about Shiloh B. - he was doing well this morning - eatinging and drinking fine then hunting in the bakyard and waking the neighbors at 5:45am - well I know his bark is working well.

Ok - gotta get to work now.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Glad to hear Shiloh is Ok. Keep an eye on those bites because infection can come on quickly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
well that's part of show biz aint it?
if your gonna dance, the old addage is break a leg!!!

im glad you two are doing well, i hate it when things go terribly awry right in the middle of something fun.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That sounds like a real ordeal!
I'm glad that Shiloh seems to be okay. Do keep a close watch on the bite. Several years ago, Dusty (foolishly) tried to take a bone out of Traveler's mouth. Result: stitches and infection. I'm sure he told the doctor how it happened, and there were no reports or anything of that nature.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow! I'm so sorry about what happened. I'm glad you're not too upset with Shiloh. It sounds like he was in a lot of pain and really scared at the time.

I would definitely keep an eye on the bites, although it sounds like you are already doing that. I would think as long as there's no infection that it should heal up.

Prayers your way for quick healing!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
thinking of you. Hope your arm is better soon. Shiloh only bit because of the pain.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My goodness!! I probably would have panicked, but would have done the same thing you did. You are a good Beagle parent to not get mad because of the bites. He was just freaked out an in pain. Glad everyone is ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts