Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents our on a cruise so I am watching their dog for them. She is a mutt and about 20 lbs. She refuses to eat. I gotten her to eat once and I have had her since Friday night. She just will not eat. All she does is sit by the door and look out the window. She does this all day. I don't know what to do to get her to eat. Lucky keeps trying to play with her too but she doesn't want to play. She is 11 years old afterall. Not to mention she does not like being locked up in a room while I am at work. She has scraped paint off the door from trying to get out! She has me so frustrated!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Do you know what her favourite food is? Try boiling her minced beef, or tempt her with roast chicken. Or sausages! If she is really pining for your folks, do you have a key to their home? Is it a long way from you? Just to show her they are not there.
Hope she settles down soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Showing her that they are not home is a good idea.... I don't think I would think about it...
Do you think that if you leave her with lucky loose around the house it will be okay? Maybe you should try that for about an hour to see how it is... just a thought (I guess you won't go for it though)...

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Poor baby. Sounds like she's really missing your parents, and has no idea what's going on. Do you have her regular food? Her food bowl? How long is the cruise? (Lucky parents!) I know it's worriesome that she hasn't eaten since Friday, but I've always heard that people can go many days without eating, as long as they have water. (Of course try to convince my stomach of that!
LOL) Maybe it's the same with dogs.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My parents won't be back until July 25th. Their house is only 20 minutes away and I do have a key. I think I will try showing her that they are not home. I have some cooked chicken I can give her. I just can't give Lucky any because people food doesn't agree with his tummy. He will be jealous! I don't have her normal food bowl with me. I am feeding her the same food she gets at home, but I think my mom gives her a bit of canned food every morning. Maybe I should try that. She is drinking water so that's good. I can't leave her and Lucky roaming the house because Maggie will just bark all day and annoy the neighbors. Plus, I haven't figured out how to turn off the motion sensor for the alarm so they can't roam free. Lucky would be bad if I let him roam free too. He would get into everything.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Suggestion -- since your folks' home is near-by, try feeding her when you take her over there. My senior pup, Maggie, won't eat outside of our house. When I had to leave her at a kennel last year for a week during a family emergency, she did not eat the entire week. She did drink lots of water and she was fine when I brought her home -- well, aside from the dirty looks she gave me for a few days.
I honestly wouldn't try giving her food that she has not had before -- she probably already has a nervous stomach from the whole situation and new food would only aggravate that.
Keep in touch with us and let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think some dogs will lose their appetite when not in their normal surroundings. This summer, my wife and I took our Josie on a vacation to my parents home about 600 miles away. We were there for five days and in that time, she probably only ate a half day's worth of food (which I had to hand feed her to get her to eat). She would still eat her favorite treats though. I would definitely try the chicken to get her stomach moving, and maybe she'll start craving some of her own food. Also, if your mother mixes in canned food, I would definitely do that too. Try to keep it as normal as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our first Beagle did that when we would leave him with hubbie's Mom. He didn't want to eat for the first several days we were gone and would even throw up he was so upset. The vet said at that time to give him cooked rice with boiled chicken. This worked good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maggie finally ate! I had to bribe her with sme chicken. I put the chicken in with her normal food and she ate the whole bowl! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I was so happy. I had to lock Lucky in another room since he can't have people food. I am so relieved!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh good!! That must be such a relief for you!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sometimes a good bribe is the answer. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I'm so glad she finally ate because I know it was a real worry for you.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Charlie didn't eat last night. For lunch, he didn't want to eat too. I stirred in one teaspoon of cottage cheese, he licked them all.
My sister called me from Hong Kong, her pekingese is very finicky. She ran out of ideas, she starts putting a teaspoon of ICECREAM! :raspberry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts