Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it typical for dogs to not eat breakfast?

I know I've been asking a ton of questions lately, but I don't know anyone else to ask and you are all SO helpful!

Our JoJo hasn't been eating until about 3-4 in the afternoon. Not even a nibble of her food. She'll eat what we put out for breakfast between 3-4, then when I put her dinner out, she scarfs that down too.

Breakfast is dry kibble - a combo of two foods.
Dinner is the same mix of kibble with half a can of wet food. (she LOVES dinner and eats it in about a minute flat)
This has been going on for awhile. Some days, maybe once a week, she'll actually eat about half of what we put out for her...taking a mouthful, walking to the dining room, spitting it back out, then re-eating it. When we first got her, she would eat twice a day. Several weeks later, she just stopped.

We tried her on Innova EVO thinking it may taste better and she'd want to eat it. It made her terribly sick.

Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I am going to guess and say that it might vary from dog to dog if they are breakfast kind of dogs. I don't see the harm in eating later. I have never heard of a dog not eating in the AM. That's what I serve Coco and then I serve him a late lunch (i guess considered dinner).

If it's something that really concern you, I suggest calling the Vet just to ask it if a normal behavior.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I only feed my dogs once per day so I don't think I would worry as long as she eats at some point each day.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe only eats once a day, too! There is a certain age most dogs just stop eating every meal you give them and are fine with just one doggy meal....

.... by that I'm not referring to mommy/daddy meals

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No one has ever accused Booker of not being interested in food, but when we first got her we did try to feed her in the morning (since her old owners had done so) and she really was not interested... so after a while of coaxing her reluctantly out of bed and basically forcing her to eat, we just gave up and went to feeding her only once a day. I really do think she would rather have the extra beauty sleep than get up to have breakfast. And sometimes she even turns up her nose at a morning post-walk cookie.

I guess some dogs just aren't hungry in the morning.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here's my theory:
Jojo loves the wet/dry food mix that you have for dinner. At breakfast, she hopes that the wet/dry mix will be served and is disappointed when she finds out otherwise. Later in the day, when she's too hungry to wait for her favorite meal, she finally relents and eats at 3 or 4.

I don't think there's necessarily any harm to her current eating habits. As most have pointed some beags are content with being one-mealers. If you really want to know, you can try feeding Jojo the wet/dry mix in the morning to see if she has the appetite for that.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm not sure how old your dog is... but we saw the same this with Bodie for the first few months. He'd eventually eat it, but just not right away. He was more of a brunch type of dog. But now that he's older he eats it up as soon as it's put down for him.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew I could count on you all!

JoJo is 13 months old.
I am quite sure if I did the wet/dry mix in the morning, she'd gobble it up b/c she loves it so much.
She is quite the Diva, and LOVES to sleep in (we're very grateful for that!). But typically, once she's up, we get a great big zoomie after she goes outside and she's up and being a beagle until her afternoon nap.
She'll eat treats and such during the day with no problems. Just not breakfast.
Perhaps it really is just how she is.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I free feed Cassidy. Only because I have no problems wit her. She is potty trained now.I suppose as long as the dog is eating it's fine.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Ted refuses breakfast, he eats in the late afternoon, once a day treats in between tho, but he's never wanted to eat in the morning, we leave his food bowl out for him to eat whenever he wants but he's like clockwork 4pm every day, somtimes i notice him eating whatever he left over in the evening but we also free feed and our dog just isn't a morning dog lol.

·
Registered
837 Posts
How long do you leave her breakfast down for?

I have a 15 minute rule, if the food isn't eaten in 15 minutes it's taken away until the next meal.

I would just skip her breakfast, if she was hungry she'd eat it - try feeding her one meal only at dinner time instead and see how she goes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
With Buddy i have found that if he doesnt get his morning walk and exercise a little he wont eat. He will maybe eat like 10 bittles and then stop. If he gets his morning walk then he will the hole plate in 20 seconds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience is similar to Spridell's. Oreo doesn't seem interested in food unless he's had a walk.

You could try to simulate the wet/dry combo by mixing a little warm water into his dry breakfast. Swish the mix around a little and it'll create an aromatic gravy for him.

That's how I trick Oreo into eating if he doesn't seem interested in his meal. He loves his wet food.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby doesn't like to eat his breakfast either. He always eats his dinner but just doesn't care to eat in the morning. Oh well. He seems fine with just eating one meal a day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yesterday, after posting this thread, 3pm hit and she was out eating her food.
I fed her dinner at 530. She ate that quickly, as always.

This morning, when I came down, we gave her a scoop of her dry food. She ate about half right away and has been snacking on the rest all day. I think there's about 1/4 left in the bowl.

I think she's just doing what she wants to do in regards to when she wants to eat. She's unpredictable, and that's fine by me.

I was just really worried that it wasn't normal - but now that I see it's common, I'm relieved.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Normal = unpredictable from what I'm finding out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My JoJo will eat whatever you put dwn at anytime of day! Friday morning's I'm up at 4am to get to work and she doesn't care that her eyes aren't evern open properly cause she's still half alseep. She will eat!

However my cocker is a bit fussy. I have to entice her to eat breakfast buy putting puppy milk on the kibble, dinner isn't a problem. I wouldn;t bother with her breakfast except that she loses weight in the blink of an eye because she is so hyper so I have to keep feeding her up!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think Alan hit the nail on the head when he said that it's probably because her brekkie isn't as exciting as her dinner because it doesn't contain the yummy wet stuff.

If you want her to eat brekkie then try moistening it with some warm water to make it more appetizing. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, if she doesn't eat it in 15 mins then she isn't hungry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts