Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when i am walking Joey (my beagle), he will begin frantically zigging and zagging (kind of like he has a scent), then he will begin whining, yelping and barking...
Is this normal Beagle "I smell something that interests me" behavior?

Another interesting thing about Joey is that he is a real lazy bum when he is inside, but when we go out, he comes a live and is into everything...have you guys seen this too?

This is our 2nd week together and it seems like i learn something new everyday about him.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That description sounds 100% beagle to me - both the frantic zigging, zagging, whining, yelping and barking while on a walk (definitely has caught the scent of something) and also the "real lazy bum" when inside!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Sounds very much like our Cole. Sometimes he gets on a scent and he looks like a little maniac! I enjoy it though, cracks me up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies :) He is my first beagle so I am jst learning some of his tendencies...they sure do have personality :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sounds very normal to me. My boys will go out in the back yard, get a scent from bunnies or squirrels or even cats, and they go nuts....yep, even after 9 years, I learn something new from Cobi every day.
Like the best spot to take a nap..... yawn!!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
lol hand up * it's like they are alerting the pack humans and animals they have found something* sometimes when Charlie is doing such......................all the other dogs in the neigbourhood can hear him (how could they not)....and they all start there own way of calling back to whoever is making the alert sound....it's like they are all communicating to eachother, haaaaaaaaaaaaaha it's wild.........

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to my world lol! You've just described the typical beagle. Oscar especially is so laid back and very lazy at home - life is just one long snooze - then pow! the fresh air and the scents around turn him into a doggie dynamo on a walk. I reckon all that laziness and lying around is time spent conserving energy to be ready to go into beaglezone when outside.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes Ollie does it too, he is the laziest boy and spends most of the day lazing about the house, apart from his 2 hours walk every day. He plods along miles behind meggie, but then all of a sudden, he is off, pulling me up the road, zig zagging about and making the loudest noise. people even come out of their houses to see what the noise is ! meg doesnt do it though, only ollie? she zig zags but does not make the beagle bray noise. x they are all so different

1 - 12 of 12 Posts