Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am currently in the road to training our beagle and i had some questions on regards to normal and not so normal behavior. For example, i feel as if she is very attached. I have read here in the forum that they are attached want to be with the "pack". When i am in the living room we devide it and she goes nuts trying to get in. She starts whining to be let into the living room section. Sometimes when i put her outside of the room and close the room while im in it she scratches the door to be let in. The same happens when i am using the bathroom and when i am on top of the bed she wants to be on top. Is this "normal" puppy behavior of a 4 month? I been worried she is developing separation anxiety. When i leave the apartment i crate her and cover her crate and monitor it and she doesn't bark or howl. Basically i want her to be able to play with her toys and start developing some independence. She also tries climbimg my leg all the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
It is "normal" but you are at the right age to start breaking her of it. My beagles want to be around me but they don't freak out if I am in another room. When you have to gate her away from you, maybe give her a Kong toy or chew treat to re-focus her attention. There are quite a few "puppy survivors" on this site so they might be of more help than me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far the best tactic that works is getting her kong toy and putting a treat in it. She will play with it until she notices. Another thing i noticed she does is when she poops she will take a piece of it -_-. Is this something they grow out of, i been trying to get her to stop doing that.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
The answer to... is this something they grow out of?... NO they dont! It helps to say LEAVE IT! and be as fast as possible to get it before they do. Dont bother getting an Rx called FORBID which is suppose to make them not like poop.. its very expensive and doesnt work.. i watch my dog and make evety attempt to beat her to it..🙄

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to have to stay on top of her. Another thing, she is very skittish. Like she will jump out of anything. Me moving a chair, putting a bag of trash on. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think it varies based on the dog. Xerxes - he's developed a fear of the sound of frying food (I have NO idea) and in general has always been a nervous guy. Neb is part-Beagle, and is incredibly confident and completely unflappable.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Read up on " Socialization "..it doesnt only apply to socializing with orher dogs..it also mean sounds. Be nonchalant..take your dog where there are noises and dont be protective which feeds into the dog's nervousness. My dog's obedience training class was held outside in a parking lot across the street from a train track..every class a train came by and blew the horn...lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, i been trying to take her out daily. I live in South Florida so the weather here is.....erratic. When she is outside sometimes she will sit and not want to walk so i have to wait for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts