Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else have a non affectionate Beagle? Bella doesn't like being stroked, scratched, rubbed, picked up and she doesn't like sitting on laps. Is this common? She does get excited to see us in the mornings, when i get in from work or return from an outing, but that aside it seems she'd rather be left alone.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How old is she? Has she always been like this or is this a recent thing? She could possibly be under the weather. Have you spoke with your vet for suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have always considered my Maggie somewhat of an atypical beagle in the affection department. She has never liked kisses or hugs (if I land a kiss anywhere on her head, she shakes her head after) and has never snuggled or come close to my lap. She hates to be picked up. On the plus side she has always loved belly rubs -- to my dismay, as her health has deteriorated the last couple of years, she no longer tolerates belly rubs either. Since I adopted Maggie when she was a year old after she was a street dog for an indeterminate period of time, I attributed her lack of affection to her experiences out on the street. Perhaps she just developed a very independent nature due to necessity. All this said, she is the love of my life and has added much richness to the past 12 years!
If there is nothing going on physically with Bella, I would take baby steps with regard to affection. You might find one little spot (maybe right above her tail) that she likes to be scratched. Just take her lead and see what develops.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If a vet rules out any physical problems.. I wouldn't stress over it! Some dogs are less affectionate than others. There are many pups that just don't take to cuddling and being touched a lot.
When you do try to stroke her and cuddle, how does she react? Is she aggresssive?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buddy DOES NOT like to be picked up. He goes nuts, struggles, and cries to get down. But other than that he is very affectionate. He loves to give puppy kisses and loves to snuggle up to us when we are on the couch (he needs to be in a calm state though or he will go nuts on the couch).

I have heard that dogs that will be bigger when they grow up tend to not like to be picked up. Don't know if it's true though.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: SpridellBuddy DOES NOT like to be picked up. He goes nuts, struggles, and cries to get down. But other than that he is very affectionate. He loves to give puppy kisses and loves to snuggle up to us when we are on the couch
My Maggie is the same way. She hates to be picked up, and will run in the opposite direction if we try. Other than that, she loves to snuggle up on the couch or in bed, will even drape herself over our lap, but try and pick her up and she's out of there!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My miss Bones spent 3 of the first 5 months of her life in a pet store display window without a lot of socialization with humans or other dogs (at least not for long, we heard from the pet store employees she was regarded as a terror, and no wonder considering the way they took care of her... grr), and it took several months before she warmed up to us. She did come around, though she is sometimes anxious and a bit stand-offish (except at night, when she burrows under the blankets and nestles against the nearest human for warmth). So it could take time, or it could just be Bella's personality.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker is always happy to see us and gives the absolutely best greetings when we get home but for the most part she is a loner beagle and doesn't cuddle with us. Sometimes she likes getting a good back rub, but not always. She does love to french kiss, though! That is just the way she is... I think including some baggage from her former owners. Everyone else is much cuddlier except that Buzz has yet to give either of us a kiss... he cuddles like there is no tomorrow and has licked elsewhere on us from time to time, but never a kiss on the face. I'm not sure why that is...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wish I could offer some advice here. If it's not a new behavior, Bella may just not be a lovey kind of dog. Jersey could be held and petted and lay in our laps cuddling all day.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My Daisy is definitely a cuddler, but Rocky for the most part, isn't. He gets excited when we come home, get up in the morning, etc. and will occasionally snuggle, but it's not common. He's pretty mellow and will tolerate being picked up but it's obvious he doesn't care for it. And if you try and snuggle with him while he's on the floor you can tell he's uncomfortable. We think he may just not have had good socialization in the first few years of his life. I will say that we have noticed a big change since we first got him a year ago. How long have you had Bella? If it's not long, I would say just give her some time.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie has never been a cuddler. She hates to be picked up, and until recently didn't want to sleep on the couch touching us. Just this winter she has started moving next to me when she sleeps. (Maybe because it is so much colder). She has always liked to have her ears scratched/rubbed but only at a time of her choosing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow! I have just the opposite problem. Charlee is TOO much of a cuddler. He practically sits on top of us on the couch, and at bedtime, he either positions himself right between me and hubby with his head on one of our pillows, or he has to be in the back of our legs with his body pressed right up against us and head on our hip or side. I love it though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ike is our cuddler, he wants to be on you all the time.Morrg loves her belly scratches and will sit on your lap.at bed time there are Beagles everywhere under the covers out of the covers, and always have to be touching you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry has always been fairly affectionate and liked to be with us, but it took a few months after his adoption for him to warm up to us and show his cuddly side. And truthfully, as much as he enjoys petting, he would much rather be kneaded and massaged along his neck and back. Now he loves hugs and cuddling, but it took some time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My JoJO is THE most affectionate dog you will ever meet. She's on your lap, licking your face (or any other part of your body that she can get at), loves cuddles and kisses and being carried around like a child! However she is not that interested in belly rubs, stroking or patting. Getting her off my lap though can be a struggle!

Jesie on the other hand is not very affectionate at all. She's too busy running around liek an idiot to have cuddles and kisses!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sometimes I wish ours didn't want to cuddle so much. They are each different.

Tate doesn't like to be held so much, but he always wants his belly rubbed. He is my cuddler in bed though. He is always right up against my body somehow. He does not ever lick us to give kisses.

Maya loves to be pet anywhere she can get it, but she reacts most to hard scratching/massaging right above her tail. While she is standing up she likes her belly rubbed, but won't lay down for a belly rub very much. In bed she wants to be near us, but never wants to be touching and only about a 1/3 of the night can she stand to have covers. She is our licker, much to our dismay.

Sam is content to just be touching some part of your body all the time. I don't think he cares that much about being pet, but he never complains either. In bed he is always right between my hubby and I with his head on a pillow. He does not lick at all to give kisses.

Sulli is still adjusting to life here. She loves my husband and I, but as evident today she has never seen a baby before and doesn't much care for kids. She's not mean to them, but she backs up and is very timid around small people. We hope we can change that. She loves to be held and petted. She does not lick for kisses either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BREAKTHROUGH!!! Bella sits on laps!
We were sitting in front of the tv last night and Bella was playing with her toys. First off, she wondered over to my partner and plonked herself on her lap. She sat there happily for around 30 minutes and then got up and headed in my direction. It was my turn!..She climbed onto my lap and fell asleep.

Who knows?, she may ask for a belly rub tonight!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts