Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been almost a year in Nov when we rescued Marbles, he was 6 months old in Nov 2007, and that is when we got him...Now he is 1 yr 8 mo

He is a terror!! Chews and chews! We try to keep him occupied, take him to daycare, dog parks, walk about 6 times a day...he is just CRAZY!!

I dont mind that he chews everything (including my Gucci bag and Aldo Shoes...OHHHH I was so upset)...fine, it is my fault, I left them out!!

The thing bothering me is that there seems to be little connection, no love or appreciation at all...he just is 'a dog'..

I love him to death, cuttle him, hold him, give so much affection that my rescue, Snoopy is jealous, so I had to back off a bit, give Snoops even more attention to balance it out.

All Marbles wants to do is Chew and get into things he shouldnt...and at first, I thought it was puppy behavior, now he is over a year old, and this still happens...!!

Im upset more that there is no 'bond' like there is with our rescue, Snoopy!! Snoops RUNS to us, butt wagging when we come in...Marbles just yawns, stretches, then casually come up to us.

I worry if Marbles is happy...we walk him 4-6 times a day take them to the dog park, to the dog daycare if we have a day off, whatever it is, Marbles just doesnt seem Happy like Snoopy is.

It breaks my heart that maybe we are not giving him what he needs, but I think we are doing everything we can..even daycare if they are over 6 hours alone!!

Marble is 'attached' to me..follows me everywhere..but he seriously looks like eeyore!!! he slumps w/ his head down..

Im not sure why he is like this??? Surely he still cant miss the place he came from??

He does play with Snoopy, but a lot of times, Snoopys just doesnt want to play....and Marbles just sits there with his head down, looking so sad!!

Manda

·
Registered
837 Posts
When we say we think a dog is sad, or unhappy etc - we are putting human emotions onto them, emotions that dogs don't feel or think. It sounds terrible - but dogs don't think or feel like people. Marbles sounds like he is having the time of his life! I went through the same thing with my beag Daisy for the first 12 months - she wasn't clingy like my other dogs, she was very independent, she wasn't as full on and cuddley. But now I've come to realise that is just her personality - she is not as full on as the other two in that she doesn't want constant touching, cuddling etc. She is happy just to sit with us.

She has become a bit more cuddley now, but I've met beagles who are full on lap dogs. It's just not who she is - she's more laid back. Marbles sounds like he's much more laid back that Snoopy - and you would notice this more by comparing the two. Dogs are happy when they are getting enough exercise, good food and human company.

Another thing to consider - Marbles could be more submissive than Snoopey, too. He sounds like he is a quieter personality, he just likes to be around you and not on you IYKWIM. A dog is content when they are in a strong, secure pack environment. I wouldn't over think it, he sounds very content!!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
If he is playing, eating etc. then you can most likely rule out any kind of medical issue. The chewing makes me think of boredom, or perhaps obssessive compulsive behavior. If he only chewed when you were away (Like my Molly does), then I would suggest separation anxiety issues.

Does he have enough dog chewable type things? And if he is chewing bad items do you correct him and replace the item with one of his items?

As for his behavior toward you -- its a good sign that he is following you around. Watch for tail wagging and things like that. Maybe do some treat reward playtime to help him bond.

If he is getting a lot of walks and going to doggy daycare, he might just need some alone time with you (and your other dog too)

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I think there are several different types of Beagles. There is the wild and crazy, high energy beagle and the more relaxed laid back type. Sadie, our girl is one of the wild high energy types. Both Sadie and Pooh were terrors when they were young, but Miss Sadie was an expert terror. A year and a half is still young and that is the age ours were when they were kicked out of doggie day care. It was a small dog day care and they didn't have enough staff. Sadie and Pooh chewed on things at day care, they were quite destructive. Pooh Bear mellowed out quicker than Sadie. When ours were little neither of them liked to cuddle. They liked to play with each other, wrestle and play with toys and with us. Sadie is now 8 years old and does like to cuddle when she feels like it. She is also still wild at times. She has the zoomies, runs around and around in circles and digs holes in the garden. She is crazy.

If Marbles loves to take walks and play and run and jump and all of that, he is fine. He acts happy when taking a walk and playing, doesn't he? He just isn't mature enough to enjoy a good calm cuddle yet. He may never enjoy cuddling. Pooh Bear, our boy Beagle does not like to be hugged and held. He likes to come to us on his own terms and lay with us, but hates to be held down or have your arms around him. But we know the are both happy and we adore them.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is two and a half and is not a cuddly beagle. She comes to me to get her ears scratched and likes to sit on the same couch I sit on but usually not touching me. She has finally quit chewing things but still often steals, especially if I am on the computer. I am always a little jealous when I read a post about a cuddly beagle but it is just not Maggie. I think they all have different personalities and Marbles demonstrates his affection by following you and being in the room with you.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Good advice from all and I have to agree with Jassy especially.

Just as you have touchy-feely type people, you have people who are more reserved. I would think that the same thing can be with beagles.

Henry wants to spend as much of his day inside as possible while Yodel wants to be outside as much as possible. Different desires and interest as well as different personalities. Yodel is friendly and outgoing and Henry is shy and jumpy alot.

Don't take it personally, Manda. Marbles just isn't Snoopy...he's his own guy and I'll bet anything that he loves you too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As you may know, I have NINE beagles, some are clingy and needy, others are more independent. I think it just depends on the dog and its personality. Chloe wants to be near me - not necessarily touching, but close, Joe, on the other hand is my velcro dog, all of them at different times want to be touched - sometimes it is a little overwhelming with 6 or 7 dogs trying to climb in your lap at one time
- and for some reason, if ONE wants to get on me, everyone else does too! Jack (Joe's littermate) is more laid back - he loves to be petted and talked to, but he's not trying to climb down my throat all the time like Joe is. Bella is much more cuddly than her younger half sister, Angel - tho Angel does have her needy moments. JoJo has been very clingy the past couple of weeks - possibly because of being pregnant. Tanna loves to be touched and talked to - but he's mostly happy just laying in the floor at my feet. Lottie is more of a loner - doesn't want to be around the rest of the pack - but loves to be near mommy whenever possible. They're just ALL different. I'm glad they're NOT all alike.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Glenda...I love those nice, soft pile 'o beetles! Wish I could just jump right in!

·
Registered
443 Posts
You talked about all the exercise that Marbles gets and that is a really good thing. Does he walk well on a leash?

I'm gonna sound like a bit of a broken record but as I said in another post, I am somewhat of a strong advocate of obedience training. In Marbles case however, it is not the obedience factor I am looking at in suggesting it - altho the trainer may have additional ideas to help with his chewing. But in Marbles case, I am suggesting it as a way to add to the bond that exists between you & he. Like when Shasta & me went to training at Petsmart, not only did she improve on her obedience commands but also learned a couple of tricks plus we went thru a short obstacle course that blocked her view from me - she developed a little bit of a problem solving technique in order to find me as well as find the treat that she trusted I had. Also, being in Petsmart, it helped her in developing additional social skills as well as being exposed to new sights & sounds. But Shasta has always been somewhat of a cuddler since day 1.

My other Beagle, Shiloh, he sounds somewhat like Marbles. He can take or leave the cuddling. When I sit on the couch - Shasta is usually rite there beside me. On the other hand, Shiloh has his favorite swivel-rocker that he gets on.

Gotta go feed the Beaglebratz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Glenda, what a beautiful bevy of beagles!!! Do they usually pile together like that? What a great picture!!
Pegasus, what is Marbles' history, do you know? When you wrote that he hangs his head like Eyore, it reminded me of a little rescue beagle I saw last year. He walked with his head and tail down, and had the saddest expression. His grandpa who was walking him told me that he was a Katrina dog that his son had rescued. I imagine that poor guy had gone through a lot. And Marbles may be carrying a lot of baggage too, that it's just gonna take time for him to work through. Or maybe he just has a quiet personality. My Shiloh is a very happy girl who loves her family, but she's never been much of a cuddler. Licker yes, cuddler no. She'll stretch out beside you on the sofa, but she's not a lap dog. Of course at 40+ pounds, that's probably a good thing!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Genie and Denise - thank you - yes, they OFTEN pile up like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.