Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i wanted to ask you if pita (three months old) can go witout a leash, sometimes she runs around, and i wont take the leash of next to the road for sure. but when is the reccomended time to take her without a leash?

thanks with a huge lick from pita!!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Simple answer. When outside a secure area (in the house or fenced garden) then beagles should always be on the leash. Too many end up under cars or run off in hunt of something. So please dont let Pita off the leash.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Unless you plan on training them to hunt small game...(I'd say,"never")! With the "dearth" of the fur trade...(despite new exports to China). The coyote population has exploded & "now" we have to deal with wolves introduced here against our will! The rabbit & hare population has nearly gone extinct! :angryfire: Even packs of walker-hounds have been killed by wolves recently! :rolleyes: (And, I suspect) that cougars,(that used to be controlled by hound hunting will be decimated by the more dominant wolf-packs)! :rolleyes: It has taken nearly 10 yrs for most of our big game to recover to their prior numbers after the 1997 ice-storm winter-kills & the whitetail deer have been the most successfull @ that task...(but they breed like cat,s!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Granted...Pop & I have yet to have a "run-in" with a wolf...(but they have been sighted in our new hunting area)! :angryfire:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Doron,
Beagles tend to roam, they don't even notice it since they follow a scent and then when it's too late the start thinking: "where am I?"
Don't let her off the leash, they zone out and don't hear or see anything once they start tracking something.... she won't respond to you calling her (I know from experience with chloe) back....
If you are with her in a fenced area, like a dog run or back yard, you can let her off the leash.
If you want her to fee more "free" when on walks or at the park, you can get the 30ft (10 meter or more) leash (not retractable) and she can run around close to you..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I won't take Josie from the front door to the car without her harness on let alone just a leash. Pita may still be too young to go into full-beagle mode, but when she does, you won't have a prayer. Don't take the chance, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
As others have said... not unless it is a securely fenced area. OR you have trained a 100% reliable recall which is difficult with a beagle but possible!

My biggest pet hate is when I am walking my dogs in a non-off leash area and some idiot owner whose dog has no recall has their dog off lead and it rushes up to my dogs /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif One of my dogs is easily threatened by strange dogs as he has been attacked in the past. When I ask the other owner to recall their dog I usually get "It's ok, he/she is friendly!" But how do you know mine is - arghh!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Sorry, doron, but unless you have your Pita in a fenced-in area, she really shouldn't be off leash. Beagle Puppies are very quick, and can get away from you in the blink of an eye, especially if she's following a scent. I understand how much you would like to let her off leash and just "run free," because I would have loved to be able to do that with Shiloh when she was younger. But the risk is just too great, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Vinny almost got away from at 3 months old. That was before the fence. I learned my lesson.

Always use a leash outside a secured area. We humans never know when the scent alert will go off inside our Beags. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

G

·
Well I'm new to the whole beagle thing, getting to know My own beagle, and from what I read leashes should be used at all times.

However My Boy contains himself on walks yes in the city without a leash when there are 2 or more other WELL TRAINED dogs with us on the walk, they play, he follows. This is not a walk where he is beside us, but they are jumping and having fun, we just make sure we are on no main roads, whereever the dogs go, who are well trained (the other dogs that is) Lucky Boy stays with them.( who is not by no means trainable like they are:)

I would never take him off a leash by himself nor with other dogs that were not fully trained in listening.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeh, never take it off unless your inside an enclosed area. Soem peoples' dogs just follow them on walks but that's really dangerous b/c they could get hit by a car, or, more rarely, they could get attacked by another animal. I know someone whose dog got carried away by a hawk!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :holyshit:

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow im realy suprised that no one lets there beagles off. Stan is relly good off lead he comes back 90percent of the time after one call. I live in england tho the scariest thing he could come across is a squirel :biglaugh: I would never let him off any where near a road tho as i have herd about the scent thing and i allways make sure i have a big bag of treats and i make sure he knows i have them. My friend could let her beagle lilly off the lead untill she was 6months and then she got realy bad at coming back. So i supose there is time for stan to change he is 6months now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I let Chloe off the leash only in the dog park, and I'm not even sure I'll keep doing that. It's not really a dog park, but a neighborhood park that we use as a dog park after hours.... one of the dogs (cutest boston terrier) got hit by a car last week, and is recovering from a major operation now. I might try Chloe there with a 30ft leash.... I'll be calmer!
The problem with beagles (and maybe other breeds too) is that once they are on a scent, they zone out and aren't very responsive.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is my biggest fear in letting Mr. Shiloh off his leash. Shiloh getting hit by a car would probably do me in too! Beagles have a "GREAT" sense of smell so pickup a scent is no problem for them at all and once they pickup that sent they are gone no matter how far it leads or where it leads . I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that owns a beagle. I am not a lover of the leash but couldn't handle seeing him hurt either ! :nono5:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've let ALL my Beagles off lead from as soon as they were old enough and had all their vaccinations. The younger you teach them the recall the better they will be.

I don't however let Sherry off the lead because she is a 10 year old rescue dog and has never been trained.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts