Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My first post! I've been reading BW for several weeks now! Long story I may share later - but I have one question. Is it possible at all to own and take care of a Beagle without a fenced in yard? I understand and have no problem with the many walks, for my family and I are big outdoors folks, and I know how stubborn house-training can be, too. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences! I SO love reading about everyone and seeing so many beautiful babies!
Thanks!
Stephanie

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Stephanie! First of all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/help.gif to BW!

So I think it's totally ok to own a beagle without a fenced backyard. But if you think this could be a problem, why don't you just make a fence around your backyard?
We did that too.
Well I gotta admit we only have a small backyard, so there wasn't much work to do.
So I would suggest, just go to the home improvement store, get some planks and built yourself a fence around your yard /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a little more work, I wouldn't let them run around without being leashed, They tend to follow their nose alot.

I live at a RV park so we don't have a yard, but i hook Dixie up to a retractable leash and have the handle attached to a bar across the door, and let her go in and out as she please during the day. Also she stays inside the house alot but we play fetch along the trailer house as it is 40 ft long. Plus we go on walks. All i can say is it can be done, but you just have to do afew more steps then just opening a door! lol

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

No it is not impossible to have a beagle without a fenced in yard. Its just more difficult. No open doors, no free range beagles. You will have to take your beagle on potty walks regardless of the weather, time, or convenience. This is not just for a beagle, its ANY dog.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
We use to have a fenced in yard, but now there is a gap in one area (long story). We manage by putting Abby on a dog run and taking her on several walks a day. You could also look in your area for dog parks, which is an open, fenced in area for dogs to "play."

I know there might be some discrepancies on the term so when I say dog run I mean a looooong chain attached to very thick, weather resistant, rope type of material that is between two trees.

It works very well to give Abby space to roam, but keep her safe.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi Stephanie,
Welcome to BW!!!

My husband and I have had to move around a lot. We have had Toby for 7 years and only had a yard for one year of that! It is more work, but if you don't mind the walks it is fine! My husband is out of town quite a bit and I even managed with a newborn and walking Toby! That was the toughest, but we got through it! Beagles are not the best on leashes, as they do want to follow their nose, so you have to be prepared for the -as another BWer so eloquently put it - moving game of twister!! Dog parks really do help because it gives them the occasional opportunity to run wild!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've recently started walking my beagle every night rather than send her out to the fenced yard with the non-beagles (mostly so I can monitor if she pees before bedtime or not), and I found I really enjoy it! Bridey enjoys it too, and I can tell it's strengthened our relationship.

I know some beagle owners use hidden fences, but I also know some beagles just never get the hang of them.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
We have an invisible fence which we had installed when we first moved here with our three dogs. Our neighborhood places restrictions on fences.

Henry trained easily to the fence...has not challenged it once. Now Henry is also not very adventurous and doesn't tend to follow or care about all of the good scents that are left around here at night.

Yodel has a super-sniffer and a bad habit of chasing deer into the woods when we first got him. We trained him to the fence last week and it has been very successful. I feel that if Yodel respects the fence, anybody would.

I know that these types of fences are controversial. Honestly, I would rather have a plain fence than have to train dogs to this one. And there are obvious drawbacks...like it doesn't keep animals out. But we have one acre "fenced" in, some of it runs into the "woods" and they have alot of places to roam and explore without actually going anywhere. And it's our best alternative to putting them on a leash.

~Denise

·
Registered
226 Posts
We don't have a fenced yard, and we have 2 Beagles (including 1 who is handicapped) who we leash walk with no problem.

If you make the commitment to walk your dog on a regular schedule, (regardless of the weather or your mood or if it's convenient at that moment), it can absolutely work. And even though Beagles love a good sniff walk, you can train them to be cooperative and walk well on a leash. And, you can supplement this with visits to a friend's fenced yard or a dog park.

That said, because Beagles as a rule cannot be trusted off leash, some rescue organizations make a blanket requirement that adopters must have a securely fenced yard. But, there are other rescues who recognize that an adopter with a commitment to leash walking can provide a great home, too.

Having free run of a backyard is great, but leash walking actually has lots of benefits. Your dog (and you!) gets structured exercise on a regular basis, you get the opportunity to spend time with him/her and share the people/other animals you encounter... not to mention that you keep an eye on their bowel movements - which can provide you with early information about illness.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I live in an apartment and we do just fine. Sure, it's more work but it gets me out into the fresh air and off the sofa. Those middle of the night potty breaks stink sometimes. Treking down the stairs at 2 am isn't fun (I make Mike do it!), but it's not that big of a deal. Jersey goes to day care so she gets lots of exercise that way. Add walks and trips to the dog park in and we do quite well with no fenced yard.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I don't have a fenced yard and I have 2 beagles. I will admit, it is much easier when you do have a fence and we are putting one in very soon but yes, if you are willing to make the committment to exercise them enough, you can definitely do it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Can't add anything to the other replies, but I live in an apartment /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

Oh, and another important thing is:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What awesome and honest replies! No, there will be no fence going up on our property and my heart wants a Beagle so very much. But my mind is still working on it. My family is waiting on my lead here. I could make it happen either way. I'll tell you my story.

Our first "child" back in 1985 was a Black Lab pup who is romping in heaven right now. Then we had two really great rescue dogs over the years. One was a Lab the other was a Golden Retriever. They both were so wonderful. Both were older and both are romping in heaven right now with our first "baby"! Then we had human babies who are now teenage boys!! About 2 years ago we moved to a beautiful piece of heaven-on-earth in Alabama that is on a wonderful river! Complete with a dock and boats, and canoeing/kayaking, etc. The land is very heavily wooded with very little open area. Enough to drive the cars back to the house and I've cleared a small patch for a garden. (of which I may end up sharing a portion of that for an emergency doggy pen- I hate seeing doggies in pens) So.....last year, the conversation of a new "family member" came up. My husband always wanted a Beagle, but we never had the land/time for this kind of energetic breed!! We went for it! I found a wonderful breeder in South Alabama who was very reasonable and ended up having an incredible stock of pups according to our vet. We SO fell in love with this little guy! His registered name was Sir Silence Dogood!! (for you history buffs and anyone who saw National Treasure, you will know who that is!) We called him Sigh! Oh, he was beautiful. But he's not like a Lab. He doesn't stay home. We'd let him roam our property and he did great until he got a little older. I was prepared to stop that and leash him totally. Well, I was to late. He came home with a HUGE welt under his tummy. The vet operated and told me that huge welt was a blood clot and he could not control the bleeding. We had to put him down. He was not hit by a car - we are very far from any roads. And he was not beaten by a human - we interrogated all neighbors. The vet and we came to the conclusion he probably came upon a deer in heat perhaps, and maybe a buck didn't like it. We have a ton of deer and that was when they were in season. I've had to put down all my pets at one time or another, but never have I grieved like I've grieved Sigh. I made a terrible, stupid, ignorant mistake on thinking he'd stay close to home because we've never had to worry about that with any other pet. Of course all our other pets were older except our first lab pup, and he trained so easily to stay at home. Never a minutes trouble. They all have stayed in the house happily, but Sigh wanted to go out constantly. And we walked and walked and walked him. But that never satisfied him!! SO......I am not sure I deserve another fur-baby as I sit here crying once again. But there is absolutely nothing in this world like puppy breath and puppy smell and the lick of a puppy on your face. Absolutely nothing. Fencing in this property just wouldn't work. And living on the water, I've thought about going back to a lab again. But this house is smaller than any house we've lived in and a lab is such a big animal, and our pets are always in our house the majority of the time........

So, there you have it. My stupidity and guilty hanging out there. I'd love to include a great picture of Sigh riding on my son's kayak, but I don't know how to include it. Maybe someone could tell me? I don't want to put to large of a picture out there. Like so many of your pups, he didn't like going out in the rain, yet he was learning to love to swim in the river with us! I could consider rescuing an older Beagle, but like I said, puppy breath/smell/love is like none other. We don't mind the puppy years.

So, thanks for your advise. The jury is still out! I'll keep you posted. And I'd love to include that picture!
Thanks for listening!
Steph- in a house of Boys!! (BTW - ALL our pets have ALWAYS been boys!! We have a fun, wonderful, lovey cat who loves dogs, too, believe it or not, but, yes.....he's a boy too!!) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow what a story to share. Like the saying says, the merry little hound that likes to sniff, snack, and snooze...he is not a dog that can go off leash. We have our second beagle, our 4th dog and do not have a fenced in yard-didn't want to have one and we live on a busy road. We simply always have the dog on leash and that is what they know. For off the leash, there are dog parks in our area. We do have a screened in back porch which I think the dogs believe is their back yard. Go ahead and get a beagle and keep the leash by the door. For one of our dogs, we strung wire between several large trees and she had a run but it wasn't exactly great so walking and interacting with your dog versus it just going out is probably the best. Best of luck to you and your soon to be new family furry friend

·
Registered
865 Posts
Of course you deserve another Beagle! Accidents happen and we learn from them. If you start from a puppy with a leash and never let him learn anything else except for special times (dog parks or friends fenced yards, etc.) he won't ever know what he is missing. We lived in the country for a while and Toby LOVED to roam around our acreage and the neighbors. I had to stop because he really loved rolling in horse poop!! He didn't get too used to it, but he still protested when I quit letting him off leash! It's just like kids - what is best for them and what they want isn't always the same!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We don't have a fenced in yard, and we still won't until my step-dad is done with all his renovations. Well, that or until I get married...The house will be done first. Anyway, I bought one of those large kennels for my dog. Her dog house fits fine with more than enough room for her and our temp. dog to run around. It's a better alternative for our area than the electric fence due to neighborhood dogs running loose all the time.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The main thing is your beagle cant escape. Plenty of long walks will do nicely.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have the same problem.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif and have been wondering.....

what do you do about playing fetch?????

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Woojiebeari have the same problem.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif and have been wondering.....

what do you do about playing fetch?????

I don't - the Bagel will run over to whatever I throw but only to sniff - he doesn't understand the concept of retrieving /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/alien1.gif Around here we have dog parks with fenced areas that the Bagel can run off lead. The old man can usually tire out any whippersnapper dog that is willing to play chase and run!

·
Registered
25 Posts
We get a couple of those tie outs and hook them up together, making a long line. There's enough length for her to run a decent amount and not run off in the road while we're playing with her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts